on 2 October 2013
Cheaper than the standard MTG toolkit, well worth a purchase if you're just getting started in Magic: The Gathering. Thanks.
on 2 September 2013
I bought this core set precisely because I wanted to build a number of decks, or rather because I wanted to experiment with different types of decks. You get a lot of cards for the price and more importantly you get a lot of land cards that are the building block of any well-balanced deck. You also get booster packs from past editions of Magic as well as one from the 14th edition which came out this year. If you are at a loss at trying to put a good deck of cards together, or would like to experiment with different styles of decks, I would strongly recommend purchasing this pack. I personally think it is worth it.
on 10 August 2013
The thing I like about Magic, apart from playing the game and admiring the beautiful artwork of each card is spending time on deckbuilding - and that is made impossible if you buy the intro pack or a premade deck. Which is why I recommend this product to any new Magic player instead of burning your money through boosters because when you buy this, you can instantly delve into the world of deckbuilding and will have plenty of stuff (as well as lands) to play with and experiment around.

The Magic 2014 Deckbuilder's Toolkit comes with 100 lands (20 of each color), 85 common & uncommon cards (that are the SAME in every toolkit), 40 cards that are semi-randomized, i.e. you get 4x 10 cards from a pool of 11x10 cards, where each of these 10 card-sets follows a particular theme - like Sliver creatures that boost each other, red-white Boros Legion soldiers that are terrifying on the assault, red burn spells etc. These cards are separated by 4 Transguild Promenades (that are part of the 85 non-random cards mentioned above). In addition to these 225 cards, you get a further 60 random cards that come in the form of 4 booster packs (M13, Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash & M14) to give you a taste of what it is like to expand your collection by purchasing and tearing open boosters.

Unfortunately, an M13 booster is included in this Deck builder's Toolkit while I had hoped for M14, Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash and Dragon's Maze. You see, last year's Deck Builder's Toolkit came with M13, Innistrad, Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored, and since every year 3 sets are released apart from the core set, I was somewhat disappointed that the 2014 Deckbuilder's Toolkit recycled an M13 booster from last year.

The 2014 Deckbuilder's Toolkit is focussed on Ravnica, City of Guilds, and this theme is reflected on many of the cards. Last year's toolkit was focussed on Innistrad. So if you like vampires, ghouls, zombies, spirits, gothic churches, priests, villagers and such, then buy last year's toolkit. If you are a fan of Ravnica and the Guilds, buy this year's.

Out of this Deckbuilder's toolkit alone, you can easily construct THREE decks without any problems - and each of your decks will play with a certain theme to be even better than a deck that is randomly built together. You can even get FOUR decks out of this Deckbuilder's Toolkit, although then some of your decks will probably have to start being two-colored and your fourth one might not have any specific theme going on. Nevertheless, this is a lot more value for your money than buying one (or two, at best) boring preconstructed decks for approximately the same price.

A booster pack contains 10 commons, 3 uncommons and 1 rare, as well as 1 land and either a token card or a card describing an aspect of the game's rules that also come abbreviated in the form of a sheet along with this toolkit (just like another sheet that gets you started on different deckbuilding strategies). If your booster only has 9 commons, then you know you will be getting a foil before you see the last card. Each booster pack would cost you 4 bucks at the retail store, so buying 4 boosters individually would already almost cost you as much as this Deckbuilder's Toolkit, where they are already included. So for 4 bucks more, you get an additional 100 lands, 125 semi-randomized commons and uncommons, as well as a nice looking (and sturdy!) box that can hold upto EIGHT 60 card decks - even with card sleeves. I think this is a very good deal.

A four, out of five stars for the sheer amount of cards you get for this price, as well as a nice cardboard box to store your collection in, as well as the boosters' (small) chance of getting you a mythic rare and making all your money back. Durability gets 3 stars, because Magic cards should best be played in card sleeves. Three stars for educational value because learning how to build decks and finding and exploiting the right card strategies IS educational, after all :-)
on 17 October 2013
I hadn't really played magic in a while and bought this on a whim. I've now constructed four decks thanks largely to this and play regularly. Great value, an insane amount of cards plus you get four boosters which makes it great value in itself.
on 4 June 2014
It's been the best part of 14 years since I last played and my old collection have long been lost, so I bought this as a way of starting again. Inside I was given enough cards to create 5 basic decks which really allowed me the chance to rediscover which colour I want to play with now while still leaving me the option to change it up. Not to mention the booster packs inside as well!

Top notch and would recommend to all my old friends who after seeing me are starting to look for cards themselves!!!
on 26 May 2014
I bought this because a few of my friends started playing Magic and I wanted to be a part of the whole thing; didn't know what to expect but it's a really nice box set actually; I've made 2 big, match-worthy decks from the stuff in there and could easily rearrange what I've got to make awesome decks with different colours if need be. I've also made a third deck with the spares for the benefit of getting my other half to play, which I must say has worked out admirably because now we can swap decks and play between us as we'd like, without having to set up a match with anyone else.

Also doubles as a very nice, very handy carrying case for your decks; be warned the box itself isn't chocked full of cards, there's about 1/3 blocked off with cardboard, but it's still a great extra space if you plan to expand and want a convenient and cool box for your cards.

Would definitely reccomend to anyone who would like to jump in to magic and feels better having the choice of colours and cards to start with; hell I even got a rare card or two in mine!
on 12 April 2014
This set is so worth your money and is a great way to either boost your current collection or for newbies to get started. I chose the rating as it shows how much I like the product not just for the price but also for how quick it arrived.
on 7 February 2014
Very quick delivery, perfect condition, actual item is great for me to get into MTG with, lots of start info, a glossary and cards of all types to make a deck with. Also, boosters to find nice rare cards with. Well worth the price.
on 30 April 2014
This box includes enough for anyone to start with Magic The Gathering. Enough land cards, and enough other cards to get a taste of what the game is about. You can make different style decks out of this and there are cards representing different strategies included. It opens a door for more exploration and bring the joy of opening the 4 included boosters.

If you already have good amount of cards though, and only want to enlarge your collection, go rather for boosters alone or for a booster display.
on 14 February 2014
If you are new to MtG like me you'll find this really good as a starting point. Plenty of cards to build a deck or add to an existing one. Well worth the money!

See one answered question