Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 January 2014
You know it's a great book when you don't want it to end and this is how I felt about Maggie & Me.

Damian and I are around the same age so through most of this book I felt like this was my story. Growing up, the confusing feelings and then realising what your feelings meant. The atmosphere created around school life was perfect. The references to the era, the TV shows, Kylie was spot on. You are taken on a journey with Damian and you feel the highs and the lows.

The hardship of the era is translated well along with the people and their day to days lives. This is cleverly mixed in with what Maggie was doing at the time.

This is a brilliant snapshot of the era in a personal level along with the political goings on. The book is brilliantly written and one I will return to one day. If you were a gay boy born or being raised in the 80's, This is your life!

Simply wonderful!
on 20 March 2017
A first class read; I would recommend this book as it is a true reflection of the time the author lived in.
on 12 June 2017
Fabulous book.
on 11 July 2013
This book is fantastic. It's a great account of success against all odds.
The link to Maggie was slightly tenuous so if you're not a Maggie fan then do not let that put you off.
In this book the author created an incredibly engaging and authentic child's voice that was both funny and sad in equal measure. At the end of the book it left me with a lovely warm feeling and not wanting it to end.
The cultural references were perfect and I was very able to relate to them, which gave an extra edge of nostalgia.
I have recommended this book to lots of my friends and have purchased copies as gifts as well. I highly recommend it as a great read!
on 3 February 2014
An episodic story of a difficult childhood in industrial Scotland. Well written and charming and not too long. Nonetheless I suspect thereis a longer and more interesting book here. He survived and proved Samuel Johnson's jibe that the noblest prospect that a Scot has is the road to London( or Brighton) in this case.
The connection to Thatcher is tenuous at best
on 26 September 2016
Thatcher and a big headed man, not my cup of tea.
on 30 May 2013
An inspiring book in so many ways; it is truly remarkable how the author can write about such appalling and difficult childhood memories with so much detail, wit, humour and courage. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend to anyone. It really did stir so many different emotions in me.
on 28 January 2016
My wife bought this for me, I haven't got a clue as to what the hell she was thinking of. I liked Mrs Thatcher and I'm not gay so I think that reading this book would more than likely annoy me than anything else - so I won't be opening it. My review is more about the quality of my wife than the quality of the book, unfortunately I don't think in all good conscience I can return either for a refund.
on 14 April 2014
I am not a well read person whatsoever and do not pretend to have an array of books in my 'have read' shelf but this book was recommended to me by a friend and I'm so glad it was. It was very well written by the author who captured the total innocence of a scottish childhood perfectly and also the ignorance of adolescence whilst enduring a less than perfect upbringing. This book made me laugh several times, infact, the author probably touched and evoked every emotion in me; anger, sympathy, humour, pride, empathy and sadness to name only some .At one point I was literally in tears. In some ways, it was a totally relatable story for me as, at times, it felt like I was reading my own life in words. All in all, this book captured my heart and mind from start to finish with vivid descriptive characters making you fall in love with and loathe separately. It was a truly captivating story set to the backdrop of the Margaret Thatcher years. All I want to say is thank you to the author for putting his story down in words as it couldn't have been easy. A pleasure to read.
on 1 June 2013
Coming from Lanarkshire I knew the places that the writer was referring to and I could empathise with the writer and thought it was a well written thought provoking book