on 16 August 2015
This is a reasonably fun, light read. It covers the standard territory: wise-cracking and spunky heroine, flirty and hunky male sidekick, troubled family relationships, fist-fights, sword fights, and magic. There's nothing here that a regular reader of the urban fantasy and paranormal romance gender won't have seen before, but it's reasonably well done. The characters are a little flimsy at times, and some of the scenes feel quite rushed (I personally could have done with more world-building and a stronger sense of place and people, because the book was never wholly satisfying for me). But it'll do fine as a beach read. Just don't expect to remember it for long after you've finished.
on 26 August 2015
I struggled through this and got about half way before admitting defeat. The main problem is that the heroine is simply unlikeable. I suspect the author was aiming for 'feisty' but instead she is rude, self-centred, and lacking in any redeeming qualities. Had I been her elf companion, I would have drop kicked her through a portal within a couple of chapters.
on 14 January 2015
I got this as a freebie & thought 'Oh well if it's no good I've lost nothing!' Was I wrong it's brilliant, well written, good plot, good characterisation, what more can I say than I'm just about to order the next in the series! Will be joining Kate's email and I'm WAY outside the usual demograph my kids are YAs but I like this genere and this is top quality!
on 1 August 2017
Brilliant adventure story full of lots of great characters. Magic, vampires, elves and super natural people. Loved the story alot.
on 14 October 2017
Great if you like ass kicking heroines. Good introduction to the series. An amusing light read but good for all that.
on 26 July 2017
The central characters are very likeable. The book made me smile occasionally. I'm looking forward to the next book.
on 26 November 2013
Good, solid writing, an alternative universe that sort of makes sense, and a humorous take on the whole thing. A rattling good plot, and I will read more. I also want an elf and a brownie please.
on 10 November 2017
A new author for me and so good, will definitely be reading more about Maggie and her kick ass adventures!
on 4 June 2014
The heroine is annoying, plot is poor and the entire story is predictable. None of the characters in the book are believable and three dimensional, they just feel like a cliche grab bag.
on 25 January 2015
Liked it so much I bought the series. Just a little bit different but if you like this sort of genre you will enjoy this series