Customer reviews

looks good
on 3 May 2017
Great book great player
on 28 October 2004
I can only describe this book as to be one of the most honest and truthful autobiographies I have read in a long time. Funny in places, Barrie's book is well written and very difficult to put down once you have started it. A great read for Leeds Rhinos fan, and for for all other Rugby League fans.
on 23 February 2005
You could enjoy reading this book if you knew nothing about Rugby League, if you are a Rugby League fan then it's a must buy. Barrie McDermott has always given 100% to every club he's played for and gives 100% here. Read it and laugh..........
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 16 January 2014
I always thought of Barrie McDermott as a kind of ultimate rugby player, larger than life in every sense. This book is both an entertaining and sensitive testimony to a season in life that is over all too quickly - no one could justify the title better, even more so with the personal disadvantage he has had to overcome.
on 13 January 2006
If you are into Rugby League this is a great book. It gives a great insight into the life of a rugby player (especially one like Barry Mac)
Hilarious in places. Worth a purchase any day
on 22 June 2010
BRILL! This story about a legend of rugby league makes all the others look like lightweights! Barries' tale takes you through the ups and downs of a rugby player and how he made it to the top to become one of the best known players in the modern era. If your kid plays rugby league, get them to read this book so they know what they have to do to make it in a hard game!
on 11 May 2014
Well whatever was in this book was going to have SOME people fawning over it. Such is the mind of the sports fanatic who won't hear a word against "their team", "their captain", etc.

I had no such background. I watch sports but I don't "support" any team, in any sport. I went in unbiased, and decided to read this book purely as tale of someone overcoming a disability (his lost eye). How ironic then that it was such an "eye opener!"

I waded through the macho posturing about being "hard" (zzz....) but he crossed the line too may times. Pure thuggery showed its head once too often for me. There's no way he could have got away without mentioning some of his shameful exploits, but no euphemisms could disguise plain and simple yobbish behaviour. And to play down a homophobic incident by blaming it on alcohol is NEVER an excuse. We had the "good family man" cliches (religious even, ha!) but I ended up having lost any sympathy I had at the start.

I admit the whole story was very well-written and structured, (down to the co-author, I'd wager), but when all was said and done, there was just one thing that put it all into perspective for me, i.e. when he went on about being superstitious and refusing to wear a jersey with a certain number on it. I'm sorry, but any grown man who would dare admit to such utter nonsense is not "hard" in my book!