on 22 February 2017
I really wanted to like this book. I fancied reading a romance set in Scotland, and when I saw that this one is set in the early 1100s my interest was piqued even more. After all, this was a fascinating time when the split between highland and lowland culture was starting to widen towards what would become almost separate nations within a nation. Unfortunately the book didn't really deliver, neither as a romance or as a historical novel.

The main character, Page, didn't really grab me, coming across as rather one-dimensional. She seems almost totally defined by her difficult relationship with her father and her growing attraction to clan chief Iain, with very little to hint at a more rounded personality underneath that and her life before her kidnapping isn't described in enough detail to make me really connect with her.

I also felt the story dragged in the middle, almost enough to lose my interest, though I did stay with it. It really picks up towards the end, thankfully, but the final resolution seemed too easy, with the other characters accepting the outcome too readily to be really satisfying. My main gripe about the storytelling, though, is the too-frequent jumping between the two main characters, almost enough to give the reader tennis-spectator neck, and quite irritating.

This is a romance, true, but as a historical romance between noble-born characters I expected more meat to the political power aspects than is actually present in this particular story. The historical details aren't too bad, but they lack depth and I wasn't convinced by the way their speech is rendered, which came across like 18th century Outlander highlander-speak with a smattering of archaic words to give a medieval flavour. No mention is made of Norman influence when Page's father would surely be a member of the Norman nobility, rather than identifying with the English.

All in all, I enjoyed this story enough to see it through to the end, but it never really met the expectations I had from the premise, and even the romance was rather formulaic.
2 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 January 2017
I did quite enjoy reading The MacKinnon's Bride. I would have preferred a faster pace as there is a lot of unnecessary padding which drags, but the novel has a nice storyline. The ending is, of course, telegraphed from practically the first time Page and MacKinnon meet - and from the book's title of course - but that doesn't detract from its charm. I didn't get much sense of a historical setting other than an odd sprinkling of olde worlde language, forsooth, and there's no great depth to the characters, but for a light romance The MacKinnon's Bride is fun.
One person found this helpful
on 26 October 2015
The Mackinnon's Bride started of really well, the story was ticking along nicely, good amount of action, good amount of romance but then middle chapters were like they were stuck on repeat! It couldn’t seem to move forward, with the same scenes, same emotions, same dialogue. There were least four or five chapters where nothing really happened. I wouldn’t recommend this one as is very slow moving.
3 people found this helpful
on 21 December 2015
The book is hard to put down. A lot of chemistry between Page and her man. Starved for affection and love from her father, she has to work at opening up to MacKinnon. Fortunately his son has already worked his way into her heart. She more than returns his affection when she saves him from being killed.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 March 2013
I enjoy a good historical fiction, so I gave this a shot. It kept my interest all the way through and the historical period was captured well. I found myself examining all the secondary characters to see who was going to be the next hero in the series. I was only drawn to one and read that. Although I enjoyed this, and the subsequent story I read, I probably won't read any more, as it is rather formulaic. Worth reading though.
5 people found this helpful
on 30 July 2015
Great story and very well written. How I loved the very feisty Page, she'd had nothing but ridicule from the man she called father all her life. Page had to shield her heart to survive.
Then The MacKinnon kidnapped her to exchange her for his young son, held by her father. This seemed like a good plan, but the fates had determined otherwise. Such a compelling story, lots of action including murder and mystery to solve.
on 2 February 2017
I enjoyed this book, it was an easy read good for the days when you just want something to switch off to, its not a complicated plot but that was what I liked and wanted, I also enjoyed the use of the Scots brogue and the Gaelic. The characters were likeable and believable even if a little he/she loves me oh no he/she doesn't. The romance was well written, I would recommend this book and will be reading the next in the series.
on 16 March 2018
Brilliant great story. Funny serious thrilling, captured me from the start. Really really enjoyed this tale of bravery and !ove
on 18 February 2018
A very enjoyable story
A bit of adventure , love and Scottish life as it was years ago . wasn't sure how it would end
on 22 March 2018
Great story, took you to the place and time . Read quickly as kept me gripped loved it