This is a wonderful picture book for children aged 2+. Farmer Bill lives with his black and white cat, called Mabel. Along with the normal things that farmers keep – sheep, cows and vegetables – Farmer Bill has a more unusual crop. He has magical trees which grow socks! When some pirates sail by they decide to steal the socks – can Mabel stop them?

Beautiful illustrations and a text which is joyous to read aloud, make this a very special book. I downloaded this as a bedtime story for my little nephew, but I would like to buy the picture book, as I think this would be ideal to read at story time to any Nursery / Reception age class. “The Deep and Snowy Wood,” also by Elwyn Tate, is also highly recommended. Both are original, quirky and really wonderful reads for young children.
on 2 April 2014
I am a big fan of Elwyn Tate's book. I like his style of drawing. I found the technic of drawing / painting in this book has advanced in more detail compared to the T-Rex one or maybe just different style. I wish I can contact him directly and ask for some ideas and opinion of self publishing. My 4 years old daughter loves his stories ! Keep up the great work Elwyn !!
on 16 September 2015
Elwyn Tate's books are a treat. I loved "The Deep and Snowy Wood" and the Sock Pirates are another excellent picture book.

Mabel is farmer Bill's cat and they both live on his farm by the sea. But it's not any old farm, as it has there some very special trees which grow socks, a vast variety of socks.
One day pirates arrive on the island after dark and try to steal as many socks as they can carry. Mabel, as a cat awake during the night, watches the tree-raid and decides to take action, but things don't go completely as planned and my son (he's 4) found what then happened very funny. The last page is also pure joy, when the following morning the farmer has to take in the whole scenario.

Cheerful and adoreable illustrations enhance a wonderful rhyming story, which is a delight to read to young children, as it comes with challenging words like, pilfered and plundered and looting and hooting. Kids will love Mabel and the Sock Pirates. The wee cat shows courage, when she tries to protect the sock trees. It's a beautiful book to read again and again, not just at bedtime.
on 2 April 2016
I absolutely love this book and so does my son. For just over £1 it's well worth downloading onto kindle. It means I always have an engaging book on my phone with me for waiting for doctor appointments etc. It's also brilliantly written and funny too
on 17 December 2014
This little book is big on rhyme and atmospheric illustrations. It is a great story for boys and girls, which can be tricky.
Start your child on this story book as soon as the child's eyes are open, a great vehicle for the big person in their lives to put on silly voices!

Val Young
on 14 February 2015
We liked all the different type of socks, and that Mabel sorted out the socks into a nice neat pile. We liked the Pirates were chased away and never came back. We liked that the farmer didn't know what had happened.
on 5 December 2014
Fun story where the goodies come out top. Great range of vocabulary and illustrations to keep even the youngest entertained. Lewis Carroll crossed with Dr Seuss for the fast input generation. Can't wait til my grandson visits!
Elwyn Tate is name you will need to remember and for good reason - his books are fun to read, and contain lovely illustrations that your children will adore. This story tells how Mabel the cat saves the day by scaring off the sock pirates, and Elwyn Tate once again shows how a kindle book for children should look and read.

The only way I can really explain how good Elwyn Tate is at writing these books is to say this; our 3 and 1/2 year old daughter loves Julia Donaldson books (all of them!) and her next favourite set of books are by Elwyn Tate and at a meagre 98 pence for this title you can not and will not go wrong.
on 10 March 2014
My 3 1/2 year old son loves this book and the 2 others we purchased by Elwyn Tate. We have to read twice minimum and answer questions around the characters faces and why they are doing things which proves this is a great buy (at a fabulous price aswell!)
on 9 February 2014
We have been a big fan of all his books so far that are brilliant on the kindle. The pictures are once again superb whilst the narrative is total fun. This is prob his best book yet. A great bedtime read that rolls off the tongue. Keep them coming pse