Customer reviews

on 25 September 2013
For not having been on the battlefield, Dawn Torrens has captured something quite rare--an emotion where only her heart could go. The tales that both of her late grandfather's told her as a child resonated with her. One was an infantry soldier on the front-lines who fought in WWII on the beaches of Normandy, while her other grandfather was a fighter pilot in the same war is the real story--they both survived--somehow. But now, they are gone--Dawn is the new guard and their voice. She is also the voice of other downed warriors who have served and for those soldiers that continue to serve. They are all our heroes, and the reason we are free men and women. Thank you...
on 25 September 2013
D G Torrens. Poems
Military Boots.
It must be well over 40 years since I read any poetry but I will now read more often.
Military Boots was a fantastic read, bringing the state of war home to your thoughts. The author has an incredible talent for making you feel part of the wording, although I am glad I wasn't involved in any part of these wars.
I am sure you will enjoy this read as much as I did.
5stars. 25 September 2013"
on 3 October 2013
Truly touching, and immensely powerful words.

I learned of the author's writings through her blog when I first read the poem, WOUNDED SOLDIER - especially, since I had just returned from a motorcycle ride honoring those that had been wounded. As a staunch supporter of the troops, the words of that poem jumped off the page and into my heart. I read a few other poems in support of the troops on her blog, each one conveying different emotions, and was excited to learn the author was compiling them into an Anthology of Poetry. Anyone reading the poems will be emotionally touched by the words, but especially those that have served, have family members and friends serving, or who have served in the past. You don't have to know anyone in the military, or even be a huge fan of poetry to understand the sacrifices military members and their families make, as those sacrifices are visually seen through the words the author conveys through the poems in Military Boots. I look forward to the printed version. It will make an awesome gift to family and friends that have served.
on 14 October 2013
I enjoyed every single poems. It was a pure pleasure to read them.
D.G. Torrens is incredibly talented. Her poems gave me the chills. They are real and heartfelt.

Definitely a must read!
Two thumbs up

Jude Ouvrard
on 7 January 2014
From the outset I was captivated by the charming cover. This enthralled me to take a look inside. The imagination of this author never ceases to amaze, it is almost although she reached back in time and touched the soldiers hearts and mind. As a mother myself it makes you contemplate what lies ahead of us for our own children. My favourite poem is Mothers in Turmoil, which was truly moving. Other poems create a chill down my spine with the way the author puts it as a matter-of-fact way that death is the only winner.