on 6 January 2000
This book is aimed at the programmer who is reasonably competent in C++ but who does not have any knowledge of MFC (or Win32 API). In the past, when I tried to learn MFC from other books, I got stuck. It was like hitting a brick wall. As soon as I came across this book however, I bought it straight away simply because it was written by Herbert Schildt. It all started to make sense straight away from the first chapter! No nasty wizards (they are a beginner's worst enemy) and no view/document (SDI/MDI) architecture. Wizards and the view/document architecture should only be tackled by intermediate programmers upwards. The programs in the book can be downloaded from the internet (there is no CD) and I managed to build them without any problems from Visual C++5. However, it would be nice if the author had included the project files as well since some people could meet a potential problem here, especially those who have not used Visual C++ before.
One chapter is dedicated to ActiveX programmming. In my opinion, complex concepts such as COM programming should not be included in a beginner's book. This is the only chapter that the author recommends that you use the wizards to build the project. It would have been better if that chapter was used to cover DLL programming instead.
This should be your first MFC book. It is definately for the 100% MFC beginner. Your second book could be 'Programming Windows with MFC'. The latter is introductory to intermediate level.
Get this book and learn the MFC fundamentals in record time. Once you know the basics the rest is plain sailing. This is an excellent book.
The book's chapters are:
18. Exploring ActiveX Controls
19. Using the Visual C++ AppWizard and ClassWizard
A. An Overview of Traditional-Style Windows Programming
on 25 September 2000
I'm happy with C++ but feel less than secure with Visual C++ and MFC. I've read much of Richard Jones's Introduction to MFC Programming with Visual C++ - itself a good book. I am now 4 chapters into this and am really enjoying it. The book has already answered some of my questions and made me feel happier about some of the things I'd seen already. (I have now ordered Programming Windows 98 from the ground up as a companion.) Overall this is a good second book for those who had no prior windows programming experience - me!
on 21 April 2006
This book, as with all Herbs books I've looked at, is simply excellent.

The book does exactly what it says it does on the tin - MFC from the ground up. This method of teaching is in my opinion the correct way forward for any software language.

It's true, you don't use wizards to build code - but that's the whole point! That's what it means by 'ground up'. It side steps the complicated code generation from MS and gives you the real deal.

When you finish the book, you truely know how to program in MFC. You can always use the wizards anyway if you want. But in my honest opinion, code generators are a convoluted and breed lack of understanding.

Definite buy for any serious MFC programmer.
on 18 November 1998
This is my 2nd Schildt computer book. The first was "Teach Yourself C++" 2nd edition, Osborne. The best thing about Herb Schildt's books is what they are NOT:
If you are looking to be amazed and astounded by oh-so-clever-and-arcane C coding, then this is not the book for you. If you are fond of trouble-shooting 2 or 3 typos on each demo program, a Schildt book will disappoint. (BTW, it also makes it perfectly clear where the responsibility for these abominations lie: not with the publisher, not with the transcriber, but squarely on the author. I have a dozen computer books that I can't donate to the public library because of the amusing [but not at the time!] profanities with which I have decorated the margins.)
Mr. Schildt's books allow me plow steadily, at my snail's pace, without trying to decipher impenetrable code with which the author has tried to impress me with how brilliant he is. I do not care how brilliant the author may be, but only that he can teach me what I desire to know. Schildt TEACHES pedantically and never confuses me more than I deserve.
I feel I am much better-armed to attack/modify the Visual C++ Wizards output after reading this book. The only disappoinment that I encountered was the absence of instructions on MFC file handling (sigh). Back to fighting the Wizards.
on 29 June 1999
I bought both of the MFC and Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up books at the same. They are nearly indentical in content. This fact is great for a begginning Window's programmer (like me), but not so great for those on a budget. The Windows 98 book has more subjects, but is written using the 'traditional' Windows programming methods. The MFC book (of course) uses MFC and therefore is the much easier way to program for Windows. I never use the examples in the book 'as is'. The author writes his code examples and descriptions of the code well enough, that I can use the examples as guides to use in my projects. While neither book should be considered a complete reference, both provide enough information that I am constantly flipping through them to look for examples (which the MS Visual Studio does not show very well.) I bought SAMS' Teach Yourself Visual C++ 6 in 24 Hours before these two books, which mainly teaches how to use the compiler. I previously had over five years experience in DOS programming with the Borland C++ compilers. In a about four months and these three books I feel that I know everything that I need to know to write any 'common' Windows 9x application using MS Visual C++ 6.
on 8 June 1999
I'm not the brightest bulb in the packet, so this book really did the trick. It may not be the all encompassing book that some people want, but as a start to MFC it was indispensable. It got me started where other books I feel would have put me off. Overall, great for someone who just wants to get going and understand it all for a change!!
on 29 May 1999
This is a very good introduction book on MFC, but there is a lot more to MFC then what this book covered. Programming Windows With MFC by Jeff Prosise is even a better book. After reading this book you can get a lot more understanding and insight from Prosise book. Both these books make a great two volume for any beginner.
on 25 June 1999
I found this book to be well written. The only book IMHO where mapping modes have been truely explained with examples that demonstrate the options. After reading this book the MFC Wizard generated codes look like good old friends. Does not go into detail but you'll be glad you bought the book. Worth every penny!
on 22 June 1999
I'm no rocket scientist and sometimes the amount of information a programmer needs to know overwhelms me. Herbert Schildt has managed to teach me C++ (Teach Yourself C++) and now MFC. Clear and yet, somehow, astonishingly complete, this book is the best place to start with MFC. Onto my next app....
on 26 May 1999
I can't believe it! I can actually understand Windows programs that use MFC! I can't begin to explain the countless wasted hours I have spent reading other books only to become more confused as the days went on. Although it is a general introduction and will not make you a pro, it gives the reader a solid understanding of how to create basic Windows programs and utilize many controls. Now I can understand other more advanced MFC books with relatively no pain.
I hope that Schildt will write some books on ATL COM (or just COM in general) in the future since this is a technology that is becomming very popular and lacks understandable teaching materials. HINT! HINT! A number of authors have already made a mess of this subject and once again we need Schildt to bail us out.