Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Mar 2009 01:27:46 GMT
A. Whitehead says:
In the USA, anyway. Interesting to see what Orbit do here in the UK. But A MEMORY OF LIGHT was coming in at 750,000 words, far too long for one volume so the plan is now to split the book. The original plan was for two volumes, one of 400,000 words (about the same length as THE SHADOW RISING) and one of 350,000.

However, Tor have decided that three books is the way to go (this isn't entirely set in stone however) and the first subvolume, called THE GATHERING STORM, is due in November with the other(s) to follow at one-year intervals. And apparently there won't be a US hardcover release. And the US cover is horrendous:

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2009/03/some-major-wheel-of-time-news.html

I have to say that this was pretty unexpected and rather barmy news. Unless Sanderson has decided he needs 900,000 words or something, there is no real need for the book to be split in three.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2009 13:34:50 BDT
B. Vorland says:
I'm actually quite relieved at the news! When I heard that the next book would conclude the series I was disappointed as I didn't feel that all the storylines could be concluded in just one book. I was worried that the book would feel hurried and unfinished. I realise that the death of Robert Jordan would lead to certain changes, but I still hoped that someone else could carry the torch across the finish-line. And now it seems that Brandon Sanderson will do just that! Yay!!

Posted on 1 Apr 2009 14:11:46 BDT
D. Underwood says:
If you go to Brandon Sandersons website he tells you all about the reason behind splitting this book into three, he is aiming to get the books out for the next three Novembers finishing in 2011.

Here's the site http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/56/Splitting-AMOL

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2009 10:05:28 BDT
Steve says:
Just to let you know both Robert Jordan's wife and Brandon Sanderson have said that that is not the cover being released, and was shown without either the author or editor seeing it (on Brandon's site he mentions now having a new one which he considers much better). Also Brandon has said if he is trying to do the book justice it will probably be over 800k words as when he started it and made an initial estimate of 400k he didn't quite have a full grasp on the enormity of the thing and all this information was released very quickly to the public domain shortly after Jordan's death so as not to leave all the fans hanging, but before people had had time to take stock and put forward a proper estimate on length. (the chances are Jordan would probably have expanded it beyond one novel also.)

Posted on 2 Apr 2009 12:02:58 BDT
I'm getting fed up with the Jordan books being spun out to another 3 books, its starting to feel like a money spinning joke now,I know that tying up all the loose ends that he had made was going to be difficult but they keep telling us the next book is the last one

Posted on 6 Apr 2009 10:27:49 BDT
Can't help but agreeing with the previous poster here... the last of the next three books will probably also be split in three.
RJ promised us the next book would be the last, whatever it took. Sad to see that the publisher/author won't honour his promise.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2009 18:22:41 BDT
Well, Jordan's own wife made the decision, so, that's enough for me not to gripe about it. Also, to Prof. BookWorm...it's not a money game, Brandon Sanderson is making the same amount of money on this project as when he though it would be just 200k words, not 900k. He's put a lot of his live and his own works on hold to do justice to RJs work. I'd rather he do justice to the story line and it be split up into three books than just outlining major plotlines with no care to get us a final book in November. But, that's just my opinion. I didn't read tWoT books for instant gratification anyway...I'm sad that they ever have to end.

Posted on 11 Apr 2009 19:14:53 BDT
cactus says:
i agree with last coment .The day it comes to an end is a sad day for me .These are by far the best books i have ever read i no of no other books like them and would be sick if it were rushed at this stage.

Posted on 19 Apr 2009 18:30:18 BDT
I agree i would rather have to wait for three really good books than have the feeling that the conclusion was hurried I've been patient for all the other instalments whats the rush now?

Posted on 19 Apr 2009 22:31:27 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 21 Apr 2009 14:56:38 BDT]

Posted on 29 Apr 2009 08:49:13 BDT
Lynne James says:
I've just re-read all the series of WofT up to Book 11. Was this the last one Jordan wrote or am I missing a Book 12 before the Memory of Light starts? I gave up waiting at one point and I don't know how long the gap has been! I really enjoyed reading all 11 books one after the other. An amazing series.
Lynne james

Posted on 7 May 2009 13:17:31 BDT
A. Whitehead says:
Book 11, KNIFE OF DREAMS, was the last book that Robert Jordan finished. He started writing A Memory of Light, then designed to be the last book in the series, in late 2005 but was then diagnosed with a rare blood disease called amyloidosis, that he eventually passed away from in late 2007. The treatment he was taking for the disease rendered him unable to write for long periods, and he only had 50,000 words of finished text when he passed away. However, he was aware of this and wrote an outline and dictated detailed notes on what was to happen in the final novel. After he died, his wife and editor chose Brandon Sanderson, an up-and-coming fantasy author who'd won a lot of acclaim for his MISTBORN trilogy (out this autumn in the UK from Gollancz), to finish the final book.

However, as is always the case with this series (Jordan told his editor in 1984 this was only going to be a six-book series!), Jordan badly underestimated how much material he needed to get to the end. Sanderson realised the final book was going to be 750,000+ words (closer to 900,000 now, apparently) which is too big to fit into one volume. So it has been split into three: THE GATHERING STORM, a so-far unnamed book and A MEMORY OF LIGHT, which will be published in late 2009, 2010 and 2011 respectively.

The new book, THE GATHERING STORM, is Book 12 of THE WHEEL OF TIME and will pick up after the end of KNIFE OF DREAMS. Jordan wrote the prologue and the rest of the book will be Sanderson's work, based closely on RJ's notes. I actually think the cover credit is a bit disingenuous, as Sanderson wrote over 250,000 words of the 300,000 words in the first book.

Posted on 7 May 2009 15:04:09 BDT
R. Debrow says:
Well I have to say this news has come as a relief as I couldn't really work out how the story would have been concluded in only one book. And for anyone thinking that this is about money GROW UP! Of course it's about money (For the Publishers anyway) and the love of a great story which after reading 11 books you do feel you are owed an ending! And thank you Sanderson for taking time out of your life to do the job proper! It's just a shame that RJ couldn't be around to finish it with us!

Posted on 11 May 2009 13:56:58 BDT
R P says:
i was 15 when i read the first book and by the time its finished i'll be 35, 20 years well spent.

Posted on 22 May 2009 14:55:55 BDT
John Stitt says:
I've been reading THE WHEEL OF TIME back to back and as much as I enjoy these books I was actually looking forward to finishing them and reading something else for a change!

Posted on 31 May 2009 00:07:41 BDT
Fundin says:
I have a habit of re-reading all the previous books in The wheel of time - series before reading a new one in the series, every other book published (Whole series, new book, new book, whole series, new book, new book and so on..), so as not to loose oversigth. This means i will have to re-read the whole thing twice before Mr. Sanderson is finished with the final-final installment. I don't know if to laugh, cry or kiss Mr. Sandersons feet. My friends where mad at me the last time I did it, they wont be any more pleased this time. "Did ya' read the latest Robin Hobb yet?'', ''Nope, have the latest 2 books in my 'to-read' list but i am rounding book 6 of WOT'', ''Again???"

Posted on 7 Jun 2009 19:01:09 BDT
A. D. Graham says:
Sorry smells like a ripoff that has killed the franchise for me. We have had some pretty big books in this series and there is no real excuse for three more books other than as a cash cow for the publishers. If the new author doesn't have the skill to make this at most two books then maybe they have picked the wrong person.

I'm not too fond of these 10-12 book series but have stuck to this one increasingly out of a desire to see what happens but I refuse to bend over smiling while the publishers take the mickey like this. Shame on them!

Posted on 30 Jun 2009 13:15:09 BDT
ash nick says:
id rather have six more books than one huge hurried book that doesnt do the end justice. pity robert jordan isnt around to finish it himself. spolier alert!!!!!!!!! cant wait for moiraine to come back. shed better she was one of my favourite characters and i was gutted when she died. also am dying to know who killed asmodean and how rand will 'destoy the world and save it at the same time' (obviuosly im paraphrasing lol) and everything else.
hmmm i think i may need to revisit the series before november.

Posted on 30 Jun 2009 19:49:17 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2009 15:38:30 BDT
I agree completely. I have the whole collection but was looking forward to the ending!! To have to wait another two years is not what I need.

Posted on 4 Jul 2009 17:26:20 BDT
I've been reading this series from the first (actually I first picked up the second one and realized there was a first one!). I have to say, that given all of the story lines and twists, that I could not believe when it was first announced that this could be finished in one (even long)book without dumping a lot of story lines very brusquely!

I would rather it was finished properly - even if it takes 3 books, than shabbily and thereby ruin an excellent series. We have all waited a long time between some volumes as it is when RJ was writing it, and I don't think a bit longer is going to kill any of us!

Posted on 13 Jul 2009 13:14:08 BDT
D. Rundle says:
When I bought the first one - 20 odd years ago - I naively assumed it would be a trilogy (3rd book after all was called The Dragon Reborn, fairly key...). I long suspected it would never be finished in the author's lifetime and stopped buying the books at about volume 8. I'm not spending another penny until I know it has an end!

Posted on 15 Jul 2009 09:22:03 BDT
G. Peters says:
I don't want to see the ending rushed either but, being a cynical so and so, splitting it into 3 books makes me feel that money had a major influence on this decision.

Of course i'll still buy and im looking very much forward to the first installment of book 12 but I do feel the publishers are taking liberties with the Wheel of Times huge fan base.

Posted on 16 Jul 2009 19:15:59 BDT
i have reread all the WoT books about 10 times already since the last was published but still cant wait for the next one to come out. Was a little disappointed that it wasn't going to finish in one book as others have done books of similar length but i will eagerly await the next 2-3 books

Posted on 18 Jul 2009 03:37:36 BDT
C. Jones says:
I for one am glad its going to take a little longer before the series is concluded as there are too many loose ends that need tying up in the plot lines.
I cant wait for the first in the next installment and I've already guessed that despite other fans opinions Demandred is Mazrim Taim check out page 70 of book six "Lord of Chaos" and then the final paragraph on book 11 "Knife of Dreams" see Mazrim Taim is Demondred pure obvious can't believe fans thought that it wasn't.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  44
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  26 Mar 2009
Latest post:  30 Oct 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions