on 9 April 2013
I bought this book even though I was going for the 3.5 certification and it has the exact info you need to pass the exam.

Recommended for anybody who would be about passing the exam or even as general lecture since the principles are quite basic.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 December 2007
I actually found the book generally pretty good, but some chapters were definitely better than others. A few, I felt, were very good, such as requirements gathering and use cases, modelling the application, and so on - but many of the later chapters were less useful. There seemed to be an inverse relationship between how many code examples there were, and how good a chapter was. I think that the chapters with little code assumed that if you were through to doing the MCPD exam, you can probably work the code out for yourself.

That said, the exam didn't really match up with my expectations, or what was covered in the book. If anything, the exam seemed to be about a lot of the stuff I'd covered previously in the MCTS exams. So neither really hit exactly what I felt I should've been examined on, and the book and exam didn't really cover the same areas. And there are probably better books out there for covering development generally.
on 16 December 2010
There seems to be a disconnect between what Microsoft deems to be useful knowledge for "Professional Developers" and what professional developer really do.

In this book I found a treasure-trove of ACTUAL knowledge that Professional Developers like me only gain from butting our heads against the wall time and time again battling to meet requirements and deliver something useful within reasonable timelines. It almost seems like the editorial team rebelled against Microsoft and decided to publish (gasp) non-Microsoft industry-standard approaches to application development (Requirements gathering, Prototyping, Object Modelling, UML, ORM, Use case development, Testing, Performance etc) with only a minimal nod to MS technologies.

Microsoft however doesnt think so. For them shoving the latest ASP.NET crap down our throats is an oh-so more profitable strategy than training developers in doing their jobs, thus, the bulk of the knowledge in this book has been canned from future generations of MCPD graduates.

I bought this book for the 3.5 exam (70-564) because the proper self study guide for that one had been removed from print ('business reasons' read: too expensive and it doesnt sell MS crap) in favour of a flimsy teacher-student guide that is woefully inadequate. 70-564: Designing and Developing ASP.NET Applications Using the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (Microsoft Official Academic Course)

When the book arrived I was a bit despondent because only a small amount of material from the 70-547 had (purportedly) made it to the next exam, being sidelined in favour of new and shiny 3.5 technologies like LINQ and AJAX that in my mind are no substitute for knowing how to do your job.

Having been impressed with the higher quality of this guide I think I'll keep it around for a bit, its useful when starting out new projects since it provides a handy reference for the software development life cycle that is bound to be useful again and again.

For those of you that are buying this book for sitting the 70-547 exam, Im sorry if that doesnt really help you there, but at least it will give you an idea that this book will still be useful after finishing the exam, so you wont have to throw it in the bin like I did with the other 2 MS self training kits for the MCPD certification.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 November 2007
Luckily I did pass the test but I would in no way attribute it to the book. I'm still not sure if some of the authors actually knew enough (in one case anything?) about the topic they were writing on (don't extend this to all authors (only a few)!).
The test questions were helpful showing again, that MSPress books and MS tests do not fit together (having passed other tests this should be (-come) common knowledge...)
I hope MS will try out new authors or let people like Jeffry Richter write more books.

My opinion: NOT test worthy
on 3 July 2008
This is the first review I've ever written but felt it was important to after reading the previous reviews on this book, since they nearly stopped me from buying it...

I have just passed 70-548 and despite the bad reviews I stuck with my tried and tested method of preparing for previous microsoft exams, by just reading the recommended text - I can't stick reading MSDN!!!

I've got to say that compared with the previous prep guides I've read for the 70-536 and 70-526 exams IMHO this was much better written and much easier to read. Picking up on a previous review, I could only count 4 authors and I couldn't differentiate the chapters each of them had written, which I am pretty sure I could with previous texts - in particular the 70-536 prep guide.

I only noticed one or two inconsistencies, and these were where the book text didn't match up to the answers to the end of chapter review questions. Again comparing this to the other two books I've read, this was a vast improvement.

Another thing to pick up on from previous reviews, is that if you are expecting lots of code samples like you get in the prep guides for 70-536 and 70-526 then this is not the book and probably not the exam for you. The MCPD exam is designed to test your ability to understand the why, where and when of choosing a specific technology. The MCTS exams are designed to test your ability to actually implement the technology.

All in all I think this was an excellent resource for preparing for the 70-548 exam - I passed the exam by just reading it. However, I must say that I would like the chance to review the questions against that appeared in my exam against the book. When I was taking the exam I felt a lot of the questions I was answering based on my 8 years of development experience rather than what I read from the book. On the other hand I did read the book 4 or 5 times before taking the exam so maybe I just learnt a lot without really realising it... ;o)
11 Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 May 2007
Very little of the book's content came up in the actual exam and parts of it were ambiguous. So it was not surprising that I failed the 70-548 section of exam 70-552. So not recommended at all - I don't know how anyone could pass 70-552 as this seems to be the only material available for the exam. Also, the practice questions on the CD are a complete waste of time.