on 13 July 2011
It's hard to decide on a star rating for this - do I rate it for what it is, or do I rate it in terms of usefulness and usability? I'm opting for the latter. I bought this to use as a desktop solution for my Logic experiments, as my larger 49 key Keystation is a bit unwieldy in my living room where I work, so I've opted to set it aside (unless I really need it) and use a smaller desktop keyboard instead, and chose this. It's nice because it sits comfortably next to my Macbook within easy reach - so no more turning in my chair to the Keystation that I used to pop on my drum stool next to my table. I did find the initial setup a little confusing, largely due to the lack of any useful documentation accompanying the product. However, a visit to the M-Audio website fixed this as they offer a PDF download of the manual there - what took me the longest to discover is that you need to set the keyboard to preset 10 to use all the functions in Logic (once you've downloaded the DirectLink driver for it). Now it's working well with all the knobs and the fader doing what they should. I do feel that the keyboard's keys are a little too light and that for the price, perhaps they could have thrown in a few more features but for a basic desktop solution, this is a decent option.
on 17 March 2013
My first entry level midi keyboard which still today has it's place even if I've now brought some more advance ones. The delivery service was excellent and the quality is solid and product is very portable and fits nicely on desk. Setup is very simple and easy and the product works very well with all DAW software. Controls are fairly easy to get into and the keys are okay and feels a bit springy but not much. I would highly recommend the product if your a just starting and the price is perfect, you will not regret buying this product.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2014
I use this with the excellent (and cheap) Mixcraft recording software. Although not directly supported, Mixcraft immediately recognises many of the controls and can very quickly "learn" the others, making it possible to record with minimal use of a QWERTY keyboard.
The unit itself is quite beefy (about as wide as a computer keyboard and twice as deep, front to back) and feels pretty well made. The keys are pleasant enough to use and the whole process is ten times quicker than manually inputting notes. All you need to know is a few piano chords and you have the entire range of musical instruments at your disposal.
on 17 May 2014
This was an impulse buy, but it's not regretted.
Previously My desk setup was either an Alesis QX49 which is rather large for just sitting on my desk or an M-Audio Axiom Mini 32 which has TINY MINI KEYS.

This product however has the best of both worlds, bigger than the Mini 32 but smaller than the QX49, this sits on my desk all day every day, and the keys feel great for the price. The additional knobs & sliders are a welcome addition as is the select, - & + allowing you to switch patch or channel easily, most keys are labelled with the advanced functions making it a lot easier to remember. The keys are easy to assign in your DAW of choice and the display can give feedback on values sent.

The only reason this is 4 stars is because it's only 25 keys, I know it'd be much larger if it was 32, but sometimes you just want that little bit extra. I'd also like a Power & MIDI port, but you can't have everything.

Definitely worth the money (£55~ at the time of writing).
on 16 December 2014
This is great if you want a small full size keyboard with extra controls - plugged it into the Mac and it just worked right away. It was a bit bigger than I thought, but no probs, have the space. Reckon you could gig with it, it seems robust enough. Read the specs to make sure its what you want, I like it just fine, does the job.
on 1 July 2014
Bought for my son and he is very pleased with it. He has limited space and was unsure whether this would be as good as the full length keyboards but it is fine. All arrived primptly and well packaged.. Cant say much about the technicals as it wasnt for me.
on 18 April 2010
I agree with the previous reviewer about the spongy feel to the keys but as I am not a keyboard player this is not a problem to me as I bought it as a controller for my music programs (DAW)and this it does fine. The Oxygen 8 is well built and works out of the box. It is worth mentioning that the directlink for instant mapping to DAWs functions mentioned in the manufacturers blurb only works if you have the latest versions of the software i.e. Pro Tools 8 or Cubase 5. I think it is possible to configure the keyboard for older versions but I haven't found out how as yet (the User guide is not the best to understand).
on 5 April 2010
(Earlier review deleted)
Ideal as an input for software instruments, without the kind of compatibility issues you might find with older controllers. No Midi in/out, though, so you can't use it to control other pieces of hardware.
Nice, solid build, with two pitch-bend and modulation wheels (default state); eight mappable pots and various sliders and buttons which can all be assigned to anything you like. I haven't done any of this yet but,theoretically, it should be quite straightforward. Setting velocity-sensitivity is simple (though I prefer just to turn it off).
Keys feel a bit flimsy (not full-size), but they're okay, once you get used to them. Extra octaves are accessed with up/down buttons.
If you're used to composing on a keyboard with four or more octaves and wonder if you could replace it with a two-octave controller, then the simple answer would be 'no' - because, obviously, similtaneous lead and accompaniment are out of the question on a two-octave controller.
Portable, but too bulky to be as portable as the manufacturer seems to suggest.
Inputs/Outputs: 1 USB port (which provides power, as well as connection to your recording software).
Sustain pedal (not included).
On/off switch.
Good, for what it does, but the absence of any midi in/outs make it extremely limited.
on 14 March 2012
great little midi controller tho it does only work with specific DAWs software (none of the free to download ones). i bought an avid vocal studio complete with the relevant Pro Tools SE software to enable me to use the oxygen 25 and they work perfectly together. Pro Tools is pretty easy to use and has plenty of effects / instruments etc to enable you to create you own music & vocal tracks.

anyone looking at purchasing this item should research it first and ensure its exactly what you want - its not a keyboard its purely a midi-controller that controls other software - it doesnt make any sounds on its own.
on 17 April 2012
Great piece of kit!

Does what it says on the box.

Plug in and Play with both Mac and Windows!

If you're just staring out this is the MIDI controller for you.

The knobs and buttons are assignable (Though I never bother) which does come in handy for live performance use.

Best price I found for the 25 Key version!