Customer reviews

Lumie Brazil - Large 10,000lux SAD Light Therapy Lamp

on 15 October 2017
Absolutely brilliant, the most powerful light in the house, very pleasant to sit next to and has already improved my mood.I would buy it again and recommend it to friends.
on 7 September 2017
I've been using this lamp for a week and have already noticed a significant improvement in my SAD symptoms. I use it for half an hour in the morning, sitting fairly close to it. Very pleased.
on 28 October 2017
Incredibly beneficial effect from this light. After one hour I am feeling blissful. It is like being on a beach on a hot day, just without the heat. Apparently a lot of the benefit of summer days is from the light as much or more so than the heat.
on 25 July 2017
excellent - pricey but works well for me.
on 22 November 2017
Very happy with the light, excellent service from the company.
on 30 October 2017
Excellent Product
on 17 September 2013
You'll see a lot of reviews saying how great light therapy is. I am a believer, but here I am trying to review this lamp specifically (I've had some experience of others) rather than the benefits of the treatment.

In my experience, usability is the number one factor in choosing a SAD light. If it's inconvenient or restrictive you'll skip sessions. Can you eat breakfast, take a phone call or read a book, in comfort, and still get a good dose? Some of the smaller ones are not really up to the job unless you sit really close and give them your undivided attention (I confirmed this with a lux meter). By contrast, the Brazil is like sitting next to a sunny window. It really does chuck out an enormous amount of light over a wide useable area. Lovely.

Mine (purchased direct from Lumie) did have a few minor niggles. The switch is so stiff, I have to use my other hand to stop the lamp siding across the desk. The cord was a bit mean at just over 1.5m. I had to buy an extension to give me more freedom with positioning. The diffuser was a bit scuffed in places and awkward to put back in (you have to pop it out to remove shipping padding). Small points, but for the price I expected more attention to detail. On the plus side, it's nice and simple. There's no battery to charge, no clock / timer / standby mode or any such digital gubbins to worry about. You could use it with an external time switch.

Although this is one of the biggest and brightest available, I would still recommend getting a lux meter (1) to make sure your set-up is correct and (2) so you know when the tubes need replaced. Incidentally, the fluorescent tubes are not very expensive, and they're still far ahead of LED bulbs in cost/performance terms, although I have no doubt LEDs will catch up in a few years.

6/11/13 update:
Really glad I got this! As well as helping to keep the old body clock in sync, a session gives me a boost of alertness which is most welcome on these gloomy days. Checking Rosenthal's Winter Blues book again, he says 2,500 lux proved effective. I took some measurements. The Brazil is giving 10,000 at 35cm as spec'd. It's very bright straight away but takes a minute or two to reach full strength. More importantly, I'm getting 2,500 at a comfortable distance for desk / computer work. The light is diffuse enough not to worry about the exact position and orientation of my head all the time. I had previously found that to be an issue with a portable narrow-beam LED lamp from another company.
1010 Comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 February 2015
Much bigger than expected,but after using a small portable one for a long time this is much better .I don't need to spend as long and feel my mood lifting after 15-20 minutes
on 17 February 2014
The even light is really pleasant from this lamp!
It came well protected for transport, so all in all everything is well thought out, with this product.
Same color temperature as my Innosol Mesa Mega Bright, so I use them both, for my morning light bath.
I could do with just one, if my tables permitted it, but I like the freedom of having more powerful light from further away, and different angles.
Morning coffee just taste so much better in 'sunlight'!
on 22 March 2017
I've owned this lamp now for 2 months and use it everyday for around 30 mins, most days Ill have the lamp around 12-18" away from my eyes, generally to one side of me and I never stare directly at the lamp.
After a few days I could definitely see a difference, I felt more alert and lively.
Other benefits have been an increased attention span, generally better sleep, less anxiety and a more content general mood.
The only downside was, initially, I felt a little nauseous for an hour or so after using the lamp, but this dissipated after a couple of weeks.
If, like me you suffer during the autumn/winter months will a general lack of energy/alertness due to lack of day light I would definitely recommend buying the Lumie Brazil 10,000 Lux SAD Light - Its has really changed my energy levels and given me a much more positive outlook in general.