on 16 December 2010
I loved the idea of this camera bag (being able to sling out the camera at any moment), but wasn't sure how it would work in practice. I have to admit, the first few times I used it I found it uncomfortable and difficult. I kept forgetting which clasp to unhook and would end up with a bulky camera bag in my hands instead of the camera when I wanted it. But I kept using it, and suddenly after three or four journeys with it, everything clicked in and it is now one of the best pieces of kit I own. For doing wedding photography, or full photo shoots, an over-the-shoulder bag is fine. But if you're hiking, or going far distances, or expecting weather difficulties, this is the bag to have. I live in Scotland, where the weather is as changeable as you could imagine. I took this bag out to get some photos in the snow the other day - the sky was blue, the snow had stopped falling, everything was beautiful. Within ten minutes, the snow was pounding my face, the wind was driving at me, and I couldn't take a photo to save my life. I simply pulled out the all-weather cover, snapped it over the bag (takes two seconds), shifted the bag onto my back, and hiked back home. All my equipment was warm and dry and safe. I also walked for four hours in negative temperatures (-10 C at least) and my equipment never suffered. It's well insulated, with loads of little pockets and nooks and crannies for everything you need. I fit in two DSLR's (Canon 40D and 7D), a 70-200mm, 50mm prime, 10-20 wide angle, 24-70mm, two battery chargers, batteries, four memory cards, and a small water bottle. I wouldn't normally put that much kit in for a long journey, but it can handle it no problems. All the dividers are removeable so I organised it to suit myself. Took a few tries, but I've got it to a good place now. It's my new favourite bag! So if you're not sure, go for it anyway, and keep practicing. You'll be glad you did.
on 18 May 2017
I've had this bag for 3-4 years now, and its served me very well and I've only just upgraded to the LoweProLowepro ProTactic Camera Bag, 450 ProTactic bag as I've finally upgraded to full frame and bought a lens that doesn't fit in it. It's defining feature is the swing around design, makes it so easy to swap lenses in the middle of a shoot without putting your bag down on the floor. It also works well as a cover when changing lenses on a windy beach or anything like that. It's got enough give in it that you can reach into the compartments to pull out lenses from either of the 2 closest pockets. It's also got very well thought out extra pockets, which I'm only just appreciating since changing into the ProTactic which doesn't have as many extra ones. The separate top section is ideal for a bottle of water and snack to keep you going, with compartments for business cards and card readers. This bag has never let me down, taken a beating and still looks good, all in excellent condition after many photoshoots. Never used the tripod bit on the side, and not really sure why anyone would, (I just attach a bag strap to both ends of my tripod and carry it light a sword on my back).

As mentioned, only upgrading as I've finally outgrown it, but I love this little bag, could easily fit my D300 + batter grip + 17-50mm Sigma lens on, and I kept 2 SB800s (and triggers) in the 2 back compartments, and a 50mm 1.8 and 55-200mm in the other two slots, with spare 8xAA's, 4xAAAs, spare camera battery, ND filter, wireless trigger (for the camera) all in the centre compartment. It would get heavy after longer shoots like weddings, but then so does everything. All the weight is all on one shoulder, and there's no option to flip it over to the other side, so if you go on long treks or anything like that do bare it in mind, but hardly a deal breaker, just suck it up and suffer for your craft. Also there's something really satisfying about using the rain cover, not often that I do, so it's good to make use of it and never feared for anything inside. Overall, love this, handy as anything to just whip your camera out.
on 9 March 2011
Let me start by stating that in my opinion this is a great and versatile bag...

First, it is deceptively large. The main compartment will hold my DSLR (including the battery grip) with my 70-200 f2.8 attached, plus my 24-70 f2.8, 50 f1.8, x2 convertor, 150 f2.8 & 17-40 f4. The top compartment will comfortably hold a flashgun & battery pack along with spare batteries. The front pocket is big enough to hold a few filters and a cleaning kit.

Second, as with most of the LowePro bags, it comes with a built in weather cover which can be deployed quickly.

Third, the key selling point of this bag is the unique "Slingshot" action. This enables the wearer to swing the bag around from its usual vertical position on the wearer's back to a horizontal position in front of the wearer. Despite the awkward sounding nature of this, it is actually quite comfortable and remarkably practical. The horizontal position of the bag provides not only easy access to the contents of the bag without the need to take it off, but also a useful shooting platform (well it helps a little when hand holding shots and there's nothing else to brace yourself against)

It's worth bearing in mind just how much kit you can fit in this bag - and the weight that goes with that. This can be a heavy bag when fully loaded. This can lead to discomfort when carrying IF you haven't adjusted the straps correctly. It is well worth spending a few minutes making sure that the straps are set properly - it could make the difference between a comfortable trip and a trip filled with shoulder ache and back pain.

A great bag - currently my favourite due to its size, practicality and the fact that it is much lighter and more portable than my other bag (a Vertex 200)
on 18 November 2011
I bought the original to this bag a few years ago (slingshot 100), and it's been spot on.

It's allowed me to get my DSLR Sony Alpha 350, body kit lens, 75-300mm lens and a portrait lens, flash gun and filters all nicely secured. I upgraded my camera to one that was physically smaller, and it still all fits well, with nothing moving about as you wear the bag.

So I had no hesitation in recommending this bag to someone else, who had the same setup of kit, exactly.

When she went to purchase, we were told the bag had been replaced by a newer version (102AW), and that it was new and improved. So the purchase was made, and usual, delivered quickly by Amazon. However, upon trying to fit the camera kit into it, we realised, sadly, Lowepro have changed a vital part of the bag.

Internally, to get the camera and lenses where you want them, you move padded dividers around inside, which have velcro pieces attached. You stick these to velcro pieces on the walls/base of the bag, to create your compartments.
This, on the original bag (Slingshot 100) was fine, and very versatile. But for some reason, Lowepro have taken to reducing the amount of velco inside, and making the dividers smaller, and with less places to attach to. The result of this is that large lenses cannot be accommodated anymore, and in the case of 1 camera, 3 lenses (1 small, 1 medium, 1 large), you cannot house them securely in the bag. We are not even able to house just the camera body and kit lens that well either, the dimensions seem suited to larger older DSLR's.

As a result, I can no longer recommend this bag. The addition of the tripod holder on the outside is a nice idea, but the rearrangement of the internals has totally ruined the use of this bag.

The plus points are that it is very well constructed, it feels comfortable to wear, and it is every bit as well built as the original was. Lowepro kit, in my opinion always feels of good quality. The tripod holder on the side is a welcome addition, but these changes are not enough to distract from the main point of the bag.

The original version of this bag is still available, and I would recommend this instead: [...]
on 29 September 2015
Fantastic bag! Had the 100aw version but sold it as it wasn't big enough for my pro lenses but now i have a mirrorless system this is perfect. The usual Lowepro workmanship & loads of pockets on this. It will easily fit my A6000 with a 18-105mm zoom attached, room for another couple of lenses, my flash & filters in the top section & still loads more room. Great bag that i highly recommend.
on 27 March 2011
Well was came I say about this fantastic bag, I knew it would be good as I own a Lowepro mini tracker for many years, but how things have moved on, I like the idea of not putting the bag down to get your gear out, so many pockets I am still finding them, the ability to add a tripod/mono pod is a nice touch, a built in micro fiber cloth is a real bonus, how many times have you wonted to clean a lens but cant find you cloth, there is a nice memory card pocket in the lid of the main compartment which is very handy, I get all my gear inside ok, Canon 5D MK11 with 24mm-105mm lens, sigma 120mm-400mm, Panasonic SD60 camcorder, cards,angle finder,remote timer,filters and there is still more room, buy one it's great.
on 1 April 2014
I head this bag for over 2 years, works grate for me, i can store 5d Mii with 24 70 and 2 580exii and Sekonic L-358 Light Meter, all the Lee filters ( bigstopper, grad filters, filter holder, phottix odin 1TX and 3 RX, and lot more bit and bops , these all in the main compartment, still lot of room in the top and front pockets, well made, i love it
on 13 August 2014
Fit my canon 5D MK3 with a 70-200MM lens no problem. Lots of pockets for additional lens, cards, batteries etc.

You can move the foam inserts about to suit your requirements. Rain cover built into the bottom etc. In short its a good bag for the price.
on 4 September 2013
Pleased I purchased. Worried that the bag would be too large for my use. When it arrived I was pleased with its size. Camera gear fitted in well with good flexibility. Read that the bag had been designed with input from photographers - it shows.
on 29 November 2016