Customer reviews

Colour: Black|Style: 180 AW|Change
Price:£70.96+ Free shipping

on 10 November 2009
I wanted a small compact bag to carry around my Canon 1000D DSLR camera in and after browsing around the shops, this seemed to be the best option for me.

INNER DESIGN

The main compartment has two removable dividers which you can adjust by sticking them to the strips of velcro inside the bag. This is handy and flexible if you really needed to organise and hold items into place but at the same time, it can make removing items a little difficult because they tend to catch onto the velcro. The hot shoe did this quite often when taking out the vertically placed 1000D but, you do learn how to take it out without any difficulty eventually.

I've managed to find enough room to fit a 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-250mm telephoto lens inside. It feels well cushioned.

You'll also find two smaller pockets for memory cards inside when you unzip and lift up the hood of the bag. Even some space for something such as pens and pencils.

OUTER DESIGN

The hood overlaps the zips to the main compartment which means if it rains you don't have to worry too much about any excess water seeping inside to your equipment. Very nice touch.

Outside on the back of the bag there is a narrow pocket big enough for filters, batteries, lens hoods, small notepad etc. At each side of the bag where the strap clips onto are two elastic pockets which I don't really use but I found they're flexible enough to fit a bottle of Volvic water if you wanted to or just some rolled up pamphlets.

Last but not least, there is another two zipped up pockets at the front of the bag as you can see from the photo. Handy for holding the lens caps or filters when you just want to remove them temporarily. The bottom pocket where the clip is has a very puffed up cushion to it which makes any item inside feel safe and is big enough to hold a point and shoot compact camera.

A thick long strap is the main means of carrying this shoulder bag around and has a plastic non-slip padding on it so that it doesn't slide about on your shoulder on the move and minimise discomfort. The handle too is puffed up making it very comfortable to carry around even by hand.

SUMMARY

A nice comfortable to carry compact bag with plenty of cushioning and pockets for all those camera accessories.
22 Comments| 242 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 August 2010
I had a lot of difficulties deciding on the right camera bag for my DSLR + accessories. I really liked the style and layout of the Lowepro branded products and I'd heard great reviews suggesting their bags were very well made and offered all round padded protection. I was not able to find the 170AW on the high-street. I knew the 160AW would be too small (shallow) and I certainly did not want a large cumbersome bag such as the 180AW etc. Although, the sizes quoted on the website were confusing, I took a chance on the 170AW. Believe me I was extremely pleased! The bag will accommodate a Canon EOS 450/500/550D body with EF-S 18-55mm and/or 55-250mm lens mounted. There is enough space for 270EX Flashgun, second lens, battery chargers, x4 SDHC cards, x2spare batteries, AUX leads. The external front pocket is also very convenient for mobile phone & car keys etc. The stretchy side pockets are great for odds n sods or even drinks bottles. The padded shoulder strap and grab handle makes it very comfortable and a joy to carry.
I would also like to add that Amazon.co.uk were absolutely brilliant in replacing the first faulty bag. The original order was returned using the self-return process without a hitch and a new replacement bag delivered by 1st class post!
on 3 April 2010
I have a D90 with the kit lens (18-105mm) and also 70-300mm zoom, so was looking for a suitable bag that wasn't too large but would be able to carry the camera, lenses and other accessories - mindful of the fact that I would probably be getting a Macro lens at some point as well. Also I wanted the D90 fitted with the 70-300mm zoom to fit in the bag.

Having found a positive review from someone also with the similar camera kit I took the plunge and bought this item already having a Lowepro Zoom AW case and knowing the great quality of their products. When it arrived I suppose I was a little disappointed with it being larger than I had in my mind that it would be, but it does perfectly what I need. I've arranged the inside of the bag so that I can fit the camera + 300mm zoom, which it does and can still zip the top down. I'm a little concerned that you can feel the end of the zoom on the bottom of the case, which is decently padded but it means needing to be careful when putting the bag down on a hard floor since it would be impacting the lens if put down too hard. There is still space in the bag for another lens and all my accessories easily are stored as well.

For anyone with this combination of camera I would recommend the bag. It's not going to be suitable for carrying with you when hiking (which is one function I was hoping the bag would fulfil), but as a moderate size "do it all" camera bag it's definitely great quality and does the job.
on 26 October 2011
I already have a Lowepro Rezo 180AW which is a great bag, plenty of room for Nikon D5100, 70-300mm lens, flash unit, filters, chargers, lens hoods and all the little bits and pieces you tend to accumulate. The only problem with that is sometimes you just don't want to carry everything around with you. That's why after investigation I went for the Nova 170AW. I wanted something that I could put the camera and the lens in that was a little less obtrusive. This is where it gets interesting, don't get me wrong the 180AW is a great bag if you have loads of kit to carry around the cons to it are
The 180 All weather covering doesn't cover the rear of the bag.
When you have the All weather covering in place you can't get into the bag without removing the top partially to unzip.
The access into the bag is the opposite of what you expect (the flap over the top is not the way in), you have to unzip around the top, this you can get used to though.
The Nova 170AW however, the All weather cover goes completely around and you can still get into the bag to get your kit without removing the covering
The access is what you expect the flap over the top is the way in and the top fits over the top part of the bag. Apart from the internal room which I think you would struggle to comfortably fit more than a full size DSLR and a zoom lens into you do get a full length zipped pocket on the rear, 2 elasticated open pockets one on each side, a zipped pocket on the flap on the front, a slightly deeper zipped pocket underneath the flap on the front, a zipped pocket on the top of the lid inside and 2 velcro pockets for cards on the flap inside. Downside the strap buckles are plastic but I'm not sure you would get enough into the bag to overstress them anyway. Would I recommend the 170AW, if you want a day bag to carry your essentials in yes, if you want to carry more than a camera and a lens and somewhere to put your phone and car keys, think of going to the 180AW.
review image review image review image
on 1 July 2015
The 200AW will comfortably contain: Nikon D7000, its charger, 70-300mm f/4-5.6, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, SB-600, D40, its charger, a 52mm filter, a Cokin filter, a Sto-Fen omnibounce, a couple SD cards, and the ML-L3 remote. I could find some more room in the main body of the bag without too much trouble, and the external pockets are mostly empty. The back external pocket holds my wallet, phone, etc. when out and about, and there are little rough rubber runners on the bottom to provide some protection when placed on damp ground.

What is less comfortable with all of this inside is the weight, especially over just one shoulder. For me, this bag is just too large, even if I remove some of the contents before leaving. It's great if I'm going to an indoor event and can leave it on a chair or table, or for storage at home, but for walking about a city or through hills, I think I'd prefer a much smaller shoulder bag or a backpack of similar size. I don't want to dock a star for this - it's not really a fault of the bag itself, but it's worth keeping in mind whether this might be a consideration for your use.

I haven't used the pull-out all-weather jacket, but it's held up fine nonetheless in light-to-moderate showers.
on 19 July 2017
Hello
This is ace and I have used it loads. Its great for holding my 7D ii with a large standard zoom as well has my 'nifty fifty' and also will take the battery grip attached to my camera. The shoulder strap has got a good range of length from my waist to high and steady just under my right arm (which is my preference). What is frustrating is all the pockets for carrying extra kit like batteries and cleaning equipment as I keep forgetting where I have put stuff. Its not the design at all but my unorganised brain. Thank You for a smart and sturdy piece of kit, its subtle and secure.
Good Bye
on 28 June 2012
I recently purchased a Nova 160 (I already own a Lowepro Nova 200 and Flipside 400) as I wanted something smaller for just my Canon 600D and my most used lenses (17-55 2.8 and 70-200 2.8L).

Unfortunately the Nova 160 was a bit too small so I returned it to Amazon (using their excellent and smooth returns service!) and purchased the Nova 170.

This fits the bill perfectly! The camera with 17-55 attached fits in and after moving the 2 internal dividers it is comfortably cushioned with the 70-200 fitting nicely next to it.
The front pocket holds the camera strap with filters in the side pockets.

If you have owned any Lowepro bags before you are well aware of the quality of them, they just feel good and like they would protect your gear and this one is no exception.
I have not used the rain cover yet but I'm confident that if I need to then it will do it's job.

The Nova 170 is perfect for my requirements when I just want to travel light and I can use one of my other bags when I want to carry my (heavy) full kit.

Recommended!

EDIT.

I have recently upgraded my kit to full frame by buying a Canon EOS 5D Mark II. The camera fits okay in the bag with lens attached (24-70 F2.8 L)but it is a very tight squeeze. There is no room anymore for the 70-200. :(
I also purchased the battery grip for the 5D and with this attached to the camera there is no way it fits into the bag which is a real shame.

It looks like I will be buying another bag....
I use this bag to carry a number of things for my typical filming/shooting ventures. Inside I can fit my Nikon D3200, the 18-55mm lens, my 52mm wide-angle lens, my anamorphic lens, my Kodak PlaySport Zx5, my spare Nikon battery, and my Samsung R10. There are also multiple pockets and slots on the inside to hold spare memory cards, and various other tools and extras such as pen brushes, felt clothes, and diopters. You will never be short of compartments and zippers if you have lots of small equipment to carry with you. However, you will struggle to fit more than a couple of big lenses in here so I can only recommend it to those who have a small, concentrated array of equipment.

I have bashed and banged this bag many times, even dragged it along rough concrete and the material has never once degraded and the equipment inside has remained perfectly intact. Definitely a bag you should invest in if you need durable, easy-to-carry protection for your camera and lenses.
on 7 February 2017
I have bought several Lowepro camera bags and would always recommend them - well-made, highly protective and they never show wear, however hard a life they have.

I bought this to replace a Lowepro Slingshot simply because I found it awkward to use.

This model takes my standard prosumer DSLR (Nikon D5300) with fitted kit lens plus an 80-200mm lens, charger, flash easily; there are several secure pockets for SD cards, and there's still a front pocket for extra accessories. The size would be insufficient for a full-size pro camera like D3X.

Robust shoulder strap and carrying handle, and a zipped pocket on the back for manual or cheat sheets. I can't fault it!
on 11 February 2017
As with all Lowepro items this is tough, well-made and a very well-thought out design. It is not fully waterproof but it is shower-resistant. I bought this to replace a much older and much smaller bag made by a different manufacturer and my only regret is that I did not do so some time ago but ummed and ahhed for quite a while. This is not a cheap item but it is good value for money as, with this type of thing, you get what you pay for. Highly recommended.