Customer reviews

on 8 February 2017
Very entertaining read.
on 2 October 2013
Since experiencing the joy of Broadchurch earlier in the year, I appear to have become a bit of a mystery fan. I've read a couple of mystery titles recently, Lowcountry Bombshell being the latest. This is the first of the Lowcountry mysteries I've read and although some of the history from Boyer's debut Lowcountry Boil may have come in handy, I think it's safe to say that you can read this second novel in the series without having read the first.

Liz Talbot is a Private Investigator and her latest Client is not quite unique. Calista McQueen is the spitting image of Marilyn Monroe and we soon discover that her real name is Norma Jeane Monroe, and that her life has eerily mirrored Marilyn's throughout her past. Calista fears that in just 10 days, she will be killed and her death will also mirror that of Marilyn's - same date, same age and same circumstances.

Lowcountry Bombshell is much more of a "whosgonnadoit" rather than a "whodunnit", as Liz attempts to figure out who is going to try and kill Calista before that fateful date arrives. If she is to stand any chance of doing so, she will no doubt need some help along the way and she is offered assistance from her dead best friend, Colleen who just happens to be present in spirit, with the sole purpose of protecting the town of Stella Maris and it's residents as well as her Brother and local Cop, Blake and her old friend, yet new romantic interest, Nate.

The majority of characters making up the story are the family and acquaintances of Calista. Each has a possible motive for wanting her dead and Liz slowly eliminates people from her enquiries, whilst some of the suspects happen upon their own untimely demise. With the ricocheting of bullets, dodgy characters aplenty and a beautiful Marilyn-esque damsel in distress, this novel created visions of action movies in my head and I loved it!

Lowcountry Bombshell is a brilliantly told story which is full of surprises. If you're anything like me, you'll find yourself getting all involved and attempting to solve the case yourself. It turns out I'm no Talbot P.I. and I wouldn't have stood a chance of solving this mystery, left to my own devices! If you're looking to read a gripping mystery with great characters, a touch of romance and a little bit of paranormal activity then I suspect the Lowcountry series will be right up your street!

My rating 4/5 ~ A delightfully intriguing mix of mystery, action and romance. Lowcountry Bombshell keeps it's best card up it's sleeve until the very end and the reveal and the scenes that follow are brilliant and surprising. The addition of a local guardian angel felt a little unnecessary, but overall this was a great read and I'll definitely be checking out the other titles in the series.

*I was provided with a copy of the book for review purposes. I have not received payment for my review and all opinions are my own.
One person found this helpful
on 28 September 2013
This is the first book I have read by Susan M Boyes, I didn't know that this was the second in the series of her books, however that didn't actually matter, this can be read as a stand alone, however it does then make you want to go back and read her first as it is so good.

This story is about Liz Talbot, a private investigator and when she thinks the ghost of Marilyn Monroe has turned up on her door one night she is adamant that she will help her. But when Calista McQueen's life begins to mirror Marilyn's she feels she needs to act quickly as the anniversary of her death is just around the corner.

We learn about how Calista McQueen's life is so close to Marilyn's it's scary, even down to who she married, Liz Talbots brother works in the police and thinks Calista is crazy, especially as when he say her she had dressed up in a disguise so he didn't think she looked like her.

One thing I needed to get my head around was Colleen, she was a high school friend of Liz's but is dead, and she has come back to help her friend. I don't know if she features in the previous Liz Talbot story (I'm guessing she does) and this may have made more sense if I had read the previous novel, however once I had worked out who she was it didn't stop me from enjoying the book and she has a very important part of this book.

We don't only go on Liz's journey to discover who did it and if our look a like does get killed, we also visit Liz on a more personal note and have brief encounters with her love life. The story is written in the first person and flows very well.

This is a brilliant mystery book, I don't normally read mystery's however I am glad I read this, it had me on the edge of my seat with its pacey story line. I enjoyed trying to work out who had done it. This is a must read for any mystery fan, I don't want to spoil the ending for you, but I found it a quick, easy and enjoyable read. I was very pleased to be part of this blog tour and cannot wait for Susan's next book!

I was part of the book blog tour for this book. You can read the full review at:

Mrsbbooks2011.blogspot.co.uk