Customer reviews

I Love New York: Ingredients and Recipes
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£26.31

on 16 October 2013
I love cookbooks and have many on my shelves, some I thumb through constantly and some I have never cooked from but hope to one day or they at least inspire me in some way. With I Love New York, I felt the book wouldn't find itself in either camp and so I returned it.

It is an expensive book and though great to look at, the recipes are limited and hampered by the A-Z format. Rather than "things for breakfast" or "new york-style pizzas" or even themed by China Town, Brooklyn etc, the recipes are ordered by a selection of ingredients that supposedly best sum up New York. Those who are thinking of the capital may be disappointed since the book instead veers much more towards the countryside and farmlands of the wider state.

When browsing through a cookbook it helps to have an understanding of order and knowing vaguely in which section the kind of thing you're looking for will lie. With I Love NY, each ingredient veers from desert to drink to condiment to dinner. For me, it didn't work.

With so many great NY/US-inspired cook books, I'd look elsewhere.
3 people found this helpful
on 14 September 2013
After reading the other review I felt compelled into writing this:
And also after my Love of Eleven Madison Park I was more determind too...
This is not simply a publication of recipes native to New York; it is much, much more. It's Fantastically illustrated, & in-depth insight into both the food ingredients native to the Big Apple and the also recipes combining all of these fantastic indigence.

I just adore the great photographs and it also includes a fascinating insight into the history of farming traditions in the area over the past few centuries, i found this a "great little Extra".

The recipes created from these ingredients and they showcase the vast wealth of ethnic influence on what is now considered 'New York' cuisine: Irish, Scottish, Dutch, German, English, Jewish, Asian, South American and of coarse the Italians all gave New York a different twist at meal times. Having many Irish relative living here I can say first hand its a great melting pot. Many of these recipes with New York roots are well known: The Manhattan Clam Chowder, Egg Noog or the World Famous Bloody Mary. There are some that are lesser known: The amazingly tasty Clam Toast Cranberry Bread & Butter Pudding or the wonderful Beer-Battered NY State Apples.

You will be pleased to know that you will find that American favorites are also here: Like lobster roll or the roasted chestnuts.

Another great thing is that Vegetarians will also be pleased, with many Imaginative salads and also the pasta dishes they, the fantastic Butternut Squash Tortellini with Sage Brown Butter' springs to mind.

I consider this an in-expensive cookbook (with regards to amazing Amazon discount), it is not only amazingly comprehensive it even has 13 different types of vinaigrette,the recipes are all comprise of easy-to-read/follow instructions. It is a beautiful book - and another huge tombstone (512 pages and nearly 3 KG).

If you are hoping for a true compendium of New York recipes, unfortunately this is not it. There are "taken for granted" that will not be found in this book:

For Example:

The Waldorf Salad is far more famous a New York salad than the 20 salads that are included;
The Reuben is one of New York's most famous sandwich (Well until you read this) emm the Corned Beef & Swiss Cheese....
Neither does New York City's greatest contribution to Asian-American cuisine, The to die for Tso Chicken;
Vichyssoise is not from France (If you did not know it was invented at the Ritz-Carlton in New York)
Lobster Newberg from Delmonicos is nowhere to be found either nor is Eggs Benedict another Waldorf creation..
But hey they can be found nearly everywhere else....

This publication cannot be described as the authoritative compendium of New York cuisine.
This is a wonderful creation: the author has never stated that they are presenting an all-inclusive collection of New York recipes.

Its just so much more than a standard cook book i will be applying for a TV Quiz show where I can show my vast knowledge of the historical NYC culinary scene in the near future.
Grab a copy whilst you can its fantastic!...Enjoy
One person found this helpful
on 18 October 2014
amazing lovely !
on 5 April 2016
Great book
on 19 December 2014
Perfect
on 18 August 2013
Sadly I was greatly disappointed, firstly the book was huge, and not easy to

carry around.... it was more a book about all the producers than the recipes,

and many of the ingredients were unknown, and unobtainable to UK residents,

many typical New York delicacies were not included...book returned & refunded
3 people found this helpful
on 10 January 2014
great recipes my fav is the walnut and caramel tart, great for any budding cook that likes to try food from NY