Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 February 2014
This is a short book that only took me an hour or so to read, but it gives a wonderful insight into the vast personal correspondence that was created by WW1. The letters here are not just between English soldiers and their loved ones at home, but include missives from Germany, France, India, Canada and Austria.

Most of the letters give moving voice to the emotions of ordinary people faced with extraordinary circumstances, and there are some lovely moments where, amidst the carnage, soldiers thank their wives for sausage rolls, or ask for Oxo cubes to be sent out to them.

One of my favourite letters, written to a husband in a POW camp, starts like this: ‘This is the last letter I am writing to you because on the 24th I am going to marry another man. Then, I don’t have to work any longer’ – we can only imagine what her sweetheart, if he ever received this, must have thought...
on 17 June 2014
It's too short!

I've advised this book to a few friends already, as it really is touching to see a different perspective on the First World War.

These soldier's letters vary in terms of nationality, rank and content. There is a bit of everything; funny letters, random notes, accounts of the horrors and heart wrenching letters to their children (crying like a baby!). Most importantly every letter is a love letter.
on 14 November 2015
Very Heart - warming and sentimental. Lovely to see that some of the letters survived so the likes of us can read and treasure all together in one book. It'll be one book that'll be kept safe. Fantastic seller and would buy from again.
on 5 May 2014
I bought this for my parent's wedding anniversary and they loved it. The letters are sometimes touching, heart breaking or funny.

It gives a first hand glimpse of the horrors of the war and a nostalgic look into the past. My only criticism is that the pages in the book in hard back are very thick and the paper feels cheap. The reproduced photos do not come out well on this paper and are very bleached looking. Also, the thickness of the pages mean you have to force the book open to read it when you get to the middle.

Still compelling reading
on 22 May 2014
I bought this book having read a review in a national newspaper. I thought it might be relevant as I knew that my Grandfather had written many letters from the trenches but I was not prepared for the coverage which he got. Reading about the different platoons and experiences which the soldiers coped with was an eye-opener, not just our own soldiers but those on the other side too. We tend to forget that they also had loved ones to whom they wrote, and it's all very moving. I think the whole book is well written, researched and edited, and it occupies a special place on my bookshelf.
on 24 March 2014
This book was sent for my husband as he is very interested in WW1 history. I also read it and found the letters very moving and sad to think that so many of these men never returned to their loved ones.
on 28 January 2014
A super book! So poignant and moving.I guarantee you will not be disappointed and feel sure you too will be moved?
on 28 March 2014
This book gives you a real feeling of what is going on in the trenches, and the way that these young men are coping. Some far better than others. Their fear and hopes are tangible. A heartwarming and heartbreaking book.
on 8 February 2014
A marvellous selection. Very moving, saddening and horrifying that writers who can produce these thoughts, feelings, and words suffered as they did, alleviated very slightly by knowing of them, yet tragic that we, the reader, can't tell them this and how much we wish it had not been.
on 21 January 2014
Heartbreaking but beautiful in all ways.
Sad to know that live like this had to end and isn't the same these days.