Love Letters of the Great War Hardcover – 16 Jan 2014
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
[Love Letters of the Great War] gathers together the most moving, intimate and fascinating correspondence to and from soldiers fighting in the First World War (Telegraph)
heartbreaking letters from the hell of the trenches . . . a moving collection (Daily Mail)
The passions of war are universal: these letters reflect the constancy of gallantry, intimacy and grief. (Iain Finlayson The Times)
touching and fascinating first-hand accounts ... a brilliant collection, and a must-read for both young and old (Press and Journal)
Love Letters of the Great War, sensitively edited by Mandy Kirkby and with an insightful foreword by Helen Dunmore, is more than a touching anthology. It shows that letters gave men the chance to reflect on their transformation into soldiers, allowed absent husbands and fathers to participate in family life, formed a point of physical contact between separated lovers . . . and, in spite of the censors, provided a forum for sexual fantasy. (Kate McLoughlin TLS)
emotive and poignant (Sunday Post)
A powerful collection of love letters shared between soldiers and their sweethearts during World War I, edited and introduced by Mandy Kirkby, with a Foreword from Orange Prize-winner Helen Dunmore.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most of the letters give moving voice to the emotions of ordinary people faced with extraordinary circumstances, and there are some lovely moments where, amidst the carnage, soldiers thank their wives for sausage rolls, or ask for Oxo cubes to be sent out to them.
One of my favourite letters, written to a husband in a POW camp, starts like this: ‘This is the last letter I am writing to you because on the 24th I am going to marry another man. Then, I don’t have to work any longer’ – we can only imagine what her sweetheart, if he ever received this, must have thought...
I've advised this book to a few friends already, as it really is touching to see a different perspective on the First World War.
These soldier's letters vary in terms of nationality, rank and content. There is a bit of everything; funny letters, random notes, accounts of the horrors and heart wrenching letters to their children (crying like a baby!). Most importantly every letter is a love letter.
It gives a first hand glimpse of the horrors of the war and a nostalgic look into the past. My only criticism is that the pages in the book in hard back are very thick and the paper feels cheap. The reproduced photos do not come out well on this paper and are very bleached looking. Also, the thickness of the pages mean you have to force the book open to read it when you get to the middle.
Still compelling reading
Most Recent Customer Reviews
beautiful collection of letters. Left me in tears most nights.Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
Good book for dipping in and out of as required. Prompt delivery and exactly as stated.Published 16 months ago by Sheila Phyall
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Political
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War I
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Europe > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Military History > World War I
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > World War I 1914-1918