Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 May 2015
This was the most appallingly writing that I have ever come across. Whilst the story had some possibility of being a good read, the book read as if written by a teenager trying to be grown up. At least half of it could have been deleted with some editing advice and I was amazed that the "about the author" page described her as a New York Times, USA today and Wall Street journal best seller. She should add grammar and proof reading to her addictions.
Every sentence was I did this and he said that and full of superfluous information - "I took a teabag from the cupboard and made some tea. I took my cup and sat down at the table" How about I made some tea and sat at the table. Again "I inserted the key into the lock and unlocked the door" how about I unlocked the door; even if it was absolutely necessary to describe these actions. "I woke up to the aroma of coffee going up my nose" where else could aroma go? I could go on quoting sentences like this but will not waste any more time.
The book falls short on many planes. Drug addict father suddenly becomes a good guy. A 9 year old child wraps her arms around an adult's legs? Only if the former is three feet tall or the latter eight feet. Most nine year olds would be able to wrap their arms round your waist. The sex scenes as such are written by rote again in the form a teen would think how it's done. All the characters seem to have a drinking problem - there is an endless supply of beer and wine in every household and they seem to live in the fridge retrieving these.
Please don't waste your time or your brain reading this drivel. I did it for you and I am sorry I did and my bad I went on to read the sequel with no more enjoyment.
on 22 October 2014
This was a really good read. We meet Lily on her Wedding day, about to walk down the aisle, when she finds her sister, the maid of honor!, with her Fiance. Her worst nightmare scenario possible.

What a scumbag, he didn't even try to give her any excuses.

She runs, goes into hiding after making a huge scene at the Church. She eventually goes back to her childhood home to pack her bags, only to be confronted by her Mom. Who we learn, knew that her sister and fiance had been involved.

She moves to be nearer her two best friends Giselle and Gretchen, In Santa Monica where she meets her new neighbor Sam, what a gentleman. He helps unload her truck, she also briefly meets Sam's roommate Luke. He comes across as a harsh, miserable and unfriendly person. Uninterested in anyone or anything. He is carrying some baggage too!

Luke is the handyman at the apartments they all live in and they start off on the wrong foot, she walks in on him in a compromising position with some girl. It was quite humorous at first, Lily certainly took no nonsense. I loved how she was a tough cookie, with a vulnerability about her. SHe has run away from her past and only gave enough information out to stop people prying.

Luke was harbouring a sad past, he had been living his life without living! He has been existing, and although he doesn't realise it, Lilly is about to knock his world off its axis.

They are friends first, both just observing the other, although you could feel something was growing.

I loved how the story knitted together, bringing Luke, Lily, Sam, Gretchen, Giselle and Lucky together. How the 3 couples lives interacted with each other. They soon become a good group of people.

Not to mention Charley, Lukes niece, what a firecracker, never underestimate an all-seeing, all-hearing, all-knowing 9 year old. Luke and Charley had a great relationship. He was also very protective of his sister Maddie, Charley's mom. He was very close to her. He also had a great network of friends, and really nice parents.

Both Luke and Lily had a lot to work through, and even though they took things slowly, you could feel that something deep was brewing between them.

Helping each other to work through their past issues is not all plain sailing but they have a connection and its going to take a lot to sever that connection.

Lily starts to build on her broken relationship with her Mom, she has a lot of bridges to cross. I hope it works out for them, even after the bloodline bombshell.

Then we have the heart wrenching hospital visit, where Sam and Gretchen have been involved ina car wreck.

Cant wait for the next instalment.
on 21 June 2017
I'm always up for a romantic novel but this was an absolute cliche fest, no original thoughts or creativity whatsoever. Characters have no personality, the main characters are all perfect and good looking. This is just a mashup of all the cheesy books before this one, anyone could've written this with no experience in writing. Most parts could've been left out as it felt like it's only there to hit the word count. And the author loves repeating words as well, don't know how many times i read Peanut on one page referring to one of the character's kid. Just don't bother guys. There are books much better in this genre..
on 5 July 2017
This book starts off really well but half way is a little corny for me. The way her and her mother reconnect doesn't sit well with me either. It was ok over all but wouldn't rush to read the next. Not dramatic enough in places
on 8 August 2017
Loved this book highly recommend it! Thanks for another fab book Sandi!!
on 11 October 2015
My wife is a nurse and in her all too rare breaks likes to read, this gives her the 'easy reading escapism that she enjoys.
As my wife likes this book that is all that matters
on 16 February 2014
Loved this book, well written and emotional storyline with old school romance. The typical "happy ever after" ending but that's exactly what is needed to complete this story.

Would recommend.
on 14 May 2015
Just ordered book two as I have to find out more. Read how a young woman's life changes when she had an upset on her wedding day
on 11 May 2016
Another good book from Sandi I really enjoyed both books in this series
on 4 December 2015
I loved this book it was a great read, i couldn't put it down