Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 24 October 2015
This is a great cookbook! The cakes aren't meant to to be light and airy as the recipes do not use self raising flour, mostly spelt flour. I have made many of the recipes and my favourite ones include the comforting chocolate chestnut cak,( there isn't anything better), spiced plum & honey this is just gorgeous perfect for Autumn/winter. I have also made the hazelnut & blueberry cake, macaroons, tart tatin. I wasn't a fan of the chocolate beetroot cake, but many others did the trick, satisfied our sweet cravings.
on 9 May 2017
Looking forward to working my way through the recipes. I'm sure my family will enjoy the results if I get it right.
on 23 July 2017
Delighted
on 29 August 2016
Excellent use of alternative grains
on 27 May 2015
When it first arrived, I thought this book was great - the cakes in the photographs made my mouth water, and the idea of less refined sugar and white flour was exactly what I was looking for. But unfortunately it hasn't lived up to my expectations. I have tried a number of the recipes now, and my sucess rate has been reasonably low. Given that I can bake just fine from various other cook books, I wonder how many of the good revies are based on initial appearances of the book rather than having actually tried the recipes. Disappointed!
on 5 August 2015
A recipe in this book guarantied the worst result I have ever taken out of the oven. It never raised, and I had to throw it out in the end. I tried to make the Lavender, lemon & honey cake. It was very expensive to make. with all the honey, butter and almonds, and when I poured it into the form I felt it would not be good, and alas it was a catastrophe.

I was so angry, it has taken me some time to write the Review. I would have gone overboard had it written it right away.

Amber Rose's book Love Bake Nourish is fraud. And I do not believe for a minute that the cakes in the book reflects the result from the recipes.

I do not get all the stars. They were not there when I had made my cake. I think the stars are fake too. The ones that have actually tried to make the cakes,writes the same thing as I experienced, and I guess, if you can stage a book like that, with a story about a fabulous, great looking baker with a beautiful name, you can fake a lot of stars if you put your mind to it. It will sell a lot of books. The stars sold the book to me. I thought that so many people loving it must be right. They were not. Se what those who did make the cakes, wrote.

"Nice book to look at, inspirational, but since receiving a few weeks ago I have tried maybe 7or 8 of the ideas and they either don't work or taste is not great, or cakes remain flat and heavy & before anyone thinks its my cooking.... I can bake and cook very well thank you!!
"I am an experienced baker but every recipe I tried was too "soggy", but did taste ok eventually when eaten."
on 26 August 2015
Before I start my review, I want to make it clear that I'm an experienced baker, regularly baking a variety of different things using a wide range of ingredients, and I don't generally have any issues with recipes not working. I was excited by this book as I like to use different types of flour and less common ingredients, however of the two cakes I've tried, both have been spectacularly disastrous despite following the recipes carefully. I first tried the chestnut cake, as I had some chestnut flour that I wanted to try - I was dubious about the large liquid to flour ratio, but the author does specifically say that the mixture will seem very runny and to trust her that it will turn out fine. Sadly the end result was a mess - given the small amount of flour I'd expected the result to be more like a torte than a cake, but in reality it was a sort of jellylike consistency that just tasted of sweet egg and really wasn't pleasant either in taste or texture. Today I tried the banana and cinnamon cake - again, there seemed to be a large amount of wet ingredients and given my experience with the chestnut cake, I decided to add a couple of tablespoons of coconut flour which soaks up liquid much better than conventional flours (knowing that if the recipe was in fact correct, the cake would potentially be too dry, but using my judgement to try and rescue what I thought could be another too-wet cake). Despite the addition of the coconut flour, the cake again turned out soggy in the middle despite cooking it for 1h20 with foil over it to prevent burning, rather than the 1hr given in the recipe.
I really want some of these recipes to work, but I'm apprehensive about trying any more of them given that a lot of the ingredients are pretty expensive, and that when I bake it's because I want a cake for a particular occasion so I need it to turn out OK. I'll probably try one or two more, but if they're no good then I'll be abandoning this book. Disappointing so far, but hopefully I've just had bad luck.
on 31 March 2013
This is a brilliant and very beautiful cookbook, full of inspiring recipes with unusual flavour combinations. It is no way pretending to be a diet book, in fact the author mentions this is the introduction, but instead is a cookbook that focuses on whole and natural foods that nourish your body and are easy to process and utilise. I've made the anzac biscuits and the Lemon Lavender Polenta cake both of which were utterly delicious. This is a welcome edition to my cookbook collection and I look forward to using it regularly.
on 21 July 2014
I bought this on the strength of the beetroot and chocolate cake recipe, which I'd already discovered online, because I thought it would be full of similar recipes, which I could make for my rather unhealthy partner (and for myself) as an occasional treat. However, many of the recipes contain quite a lot of sugar in the form of honey, maple syrup or unrefined sugar (the beetroot cake only has the beetroot, the small amount of sugar in the chocolate and a small quantity of honey), which we try to avoid, so I'm somewhat disappointed and continue only to make the beetroot cake. But it's a really beautiful-looking book.
on 4 February 2014
This was bought off a family member's wish list as a present for xmas. We've been guinea pigs for several cakes now and they've all been great. She's very happy.