Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 December 2012
I have read the majority of Susan Lewis' books and there aren't many that I don't enjoy. She varies the topic but generally isn't frightened of dealing with sensitive topics. This book is no different and I knew from the synopsis that this may well be a sad story. This story introduces us to Lauren Scott who is a bright and talented young girl with the world at her feet, and her mother Emma who is very close with her daughter. The beginning of the book is a bit of a slow burner as we learn about Emma and Lauren's lives in more detail. It turns out that Lauren is musically talented and is a well behaved and thoughtful daughter. Susan Lewis writing style is very easy to get along with although I must say even I began to wonder when the story was going to start moving along at the early stage of the book.

Thankfully, as soon as the story slipped up a gear it engaged me right until the very end. On the other side of this story we meet Oliver Lomax and his brother and father, each of whom are struggling with various aspects of their life mainly brought about by Oliver's mother who is an alcoholic. The story builds up to a point where both families are brought together following a tragic accident. At this point I don't think I stopped reading until I was finished. Lauren initially seems like the perfect daughter and it was easy reading seeing how much Emma trusted her. However, before long the reader begins to realise that all is not as it seems. Oliver and his family are also very easy to read about and I couldn't help feeling such empathy for a family that have to deal with the day to day troubles of alcoholism. Susan Lewis tackles this subject with startling clarity but also sensitivity.

The second half of the book was outstanding and was a real testament to why Susan Lewis is so successful. I am not a particularly emotional person but must say that I can see why some people will find this book to be a bit of a tear jerker. The events that go on I think are just a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of times this sort of thing happens in real life I would imagine. I think this was what made it such a compelling read. I certainly think Susan Lewis fans won't be disappointed, but be warned please don't give up on this book. Give it a chance, because once it gets going it's a brilliant book!
on 24 March 2015
I've read a few of susan lewis books and love them all .I started reading this one got a bit bored then it picked up and bingo , great couldn't put it down. I personally was disappointed with the end unless theres a follow up to come, I want to know what happened to Sylvie and do the new relationships survive.
on 7 August 2013
I loved Emma (mum) and how she coped with everything.
It would have been a 5 if more attention had been given to the editing when converting the book to kindle.
on 24 April 2017
Great book, couldn't put it down
on 7 July 2012
I have just finished this book which I could not put down the story was good. It made me happy and sad in places and would recommend reading this book.
on 22 February 2012
Having read nearly all Susan lewis publications and being hooked on them from day one, this title is more than that and i would say gets you totally absorbed and hooked from the very beginning. Every chapter posses a new problem and it almost impossible to put the book down. The ending was very unpredictable but left me with a content smile on my face| The book is now in the hands of my teacher daughter.
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2012
Susan Lewis never lets her readers down and she certainly hasn't with this latest story. I can relate to this book as I have a partner with brain injuries after a work accident. She has obviously done her research as she was spot on with all her medical observations (bad temper, frustrations, determination....has she been to my house!!!!!) The thoughts and feelings mum Emma went through were well written too. I liked every character, even dad Will, though I would have liked him to receive a bit more comeupance. How does she comes up with her ideas, every book is so different. Well done again Susan, can't wait for your next one.
on 28 May 2012
I don't know how Susan Does it but somehow you're drawn into the lives of the characters to the extent that you find it hard to put the book down. Such a lovely story that takes you through every emotion. As with all her books Susan clearly has put a lot of time into her research.
on 13 November 2012
Having read most of Susan Lewis' books and enjoyed most of them, this is the first one I have written a review of, and that is because it is so good.

From the beginning the characters are all likeable and believable (well, apart from dad Will, but he serves a good purpose as the baddie of the piece). The plot is very sensitively handled and the way Oliver is written gives a very sensitive portrayal of someone culpable for such a sad and heartwrenching scenario.

I very much enjoyed reading Emma and Lauren's journey, and the way their relationship is described is very real. I found it hard to put down, and read it much faster than her other books. The relationship between Emma and her mother is very well written, as is the character Berry. In fact, there are just enough characters to fill the story, and each one has a relevance, which is more than I can say for the last book of her's I read, 'No Child of Mine'. I found the end very satisfying and uplifting, and I'd actually like to see a sequel to this at some point!

Also, no raunchy bits in there, which proves they aren't needed to write a great story. Some of her other books have had a bit too much of that (Hark at me sounding like Mary Whitehouse!)
on 3 April 2012
I have read a lot of Susan Lewis books, and nearly always enjoy them, but this one is her best! A real page turner, and a great subject.
The characters are entirely believable, especially the husband! Not to spoil anything, but this is well worth the read just to get mad at him!