on 30 January 2002
I love this soundtrack! I had imagined that the battle sequences would sound a little more like 'The Battle' in Gladiator, but this soudntrack REALLY grows on you! 'The Bridge of Khazad Dum' builds up the tension fantastically with it's male voice choirs chanting, in what, I am told, is genuine Dwarfish, and ends with one of the saddest, most tear-jerking pieces of music I have ever heard! Brilliant! 'The Council of Elrond' is simply beautiful and so romantic, and 'Lothlorien' with it's Lament for Gandalf, like the actual Golden Wood of the film, is eerily haunting.
Oh, and Enya is great - singing in elvish, even if it does sound an awful lot like welsh at times! I highly recommend this for Tolkien and music fans alike!
on 8 June 2016
Does film score get any better than this? I have my doubts. Putting this music on transports me back to the films, the stunning scenery and story. The music wonderfully takes you through a range of tones and moods. My favourite bits were the incredibly simple but effective Shire theme and also the thumping drums of Isengard.
on 28 August 2017
I love this product
on 5 April 2017
Excellant
on 7 January 2002
As a student who studies so-called 'serious' classical music, it seems to me that film music is often treated as somehow inferior by those in elitist classical circles. Film music is often disregarded because of its popularity, and because it remains an essential part of something as synonymous with contemporary culture as cinema, it has somehow come to be seen as intellectually inferior.
I find this soundtrack particularly refreshing because it doesn't sound like a composer trying to write in a film idiom. Shore has created pieces which I would be quite happy to listen to in as pieces in their own right, and that in my opinion can exist indepentdently of the visual images they were written for.
Hard core 'Star Wars' fans may note the similarity of the choral passages with John Williams' music for 'The Phantom Menace', but in my opinion Shore's music is by far the superior, and as cinematic as the 'Fellowship theme' sounds when taken out of context, for me it loses none of its appeal.
What I appreciate most about this music is its originality. The combination of folk and more traditional ideas create a perfect backdrop for a stunning film, and this loses none of its magic when the visual stimuli are removed.
on 20 June 2017
Fantastic Music.
on 25 July 2003
I am not much of a fan of film scores, as they can usually not be heard without the context of the film. The score for the Fellowship of the Ring is different insofar as it allows the listener to "see" the film in their head, it is that evocative.
Howard Shore has managed to create lasting and haunting themes for each of the protagonists, viz the industrial sound of Isengard, the Gothic horror of the Ringwraiths, the bucolic idyll of the Hobbits, or the heroic grandeur of the Fellowship theme - who can forget the majestic panorama as each member of the Fellowship walks past the viewer in "The Ring Goes South".
The elegiac quality of the music following Gandalf's demise (at the end of "The Bridge of Khazad-Dum") brings goosebumps to my skin even now, while the "Lament for Gandalf" is as other-worldly as the Elves themselves.
Do yourself a favour and get the CD.
on 12 December 2001
I've listened to this soundtrack many times over the last few days and it gets better every time.
I suppose having read the book makes me appreciate the music even more. It really captures the Middle Earth that I conjured up in my mind while reading the book.
The soundtrack is moving in parts, rousing in others and always dramatic. Enya is fantastic.
A minor gripe though. The soundtrack is only 70 minutes long. Less than half the length of the movie. I want more!!!!
on 11 January 2002
I loved the soundtrack so much that I decided to buy the deluxe version,thinking I would probably wear out the ordinary LOTR soundtrack which I already own.I thought the extra money for slightly posher cover and small booklet(no Elrond in it!!!)was not that good value.Better to buy one of the many excellent books of the film shots on sale.I loved the film so much I went 3 times and always find the score really enhances the powerful visual images.An epic film and soundtrack which will be a future classic of Cinema.
on 12 January 2002
I've only just bought/heard this album today and I can say it's the BEST soundtrack I have ever listened to. Why? Because it made me cry. I really wasn't expecting to feel as moved by the music as I was by the movie (which, by the way, I also cried at at the end)
What's more is I could SEE the movie being played in my head as I listened to the music. To me, that really is a unique experience.''Concerning Hobbits'' made me smile to think of the Shire and its inhabitants and ''Council of Elrond'' replayed perfectly the scene between Aragorn and Arwen in the movie. This album is fantastic!!!! I recommend you buy it.