Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Looking for "end-of-the-world" scenario books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Feb 2010, 11:47:56 GMT
Francesco says:
Hi there everybody

cn anybody suggest some good books of the "end-of-the-world" kind (something on the lines of King's The stand but i am open to all alternatives)

tnks!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2010, 20:15:19 GMT
Toward the End of Time by John Updike is set in Boston in 2020 following a recent war between USA and China and is about how life carries on following nuclear devastation. A space station orbits an earth now without any means of returning its occupants. No new motor vehicles have been manufactured since the war. Repair of PCs, cell phones, computers is a lucrative enterprise. Mexico was barely affected by the conflict and is possibly becoming aggressive in anexing land in the South West. In the absense of central government Massachusetts prints its own currency. Worth reading. Alternatively, if you are into comics, Epic had a four parter entitled The Last American. The self-same, buried deep in suspended animation until the air is breathable again following nuclear attack. He is then awakened by computer.

Posted on 8 Jun 2010, 17:07:45 BST
L. de Klerk says:
There are heaps of great post apocalytic books out there, try reading 'Last Light' and 'Afterlight' by Alex Scarrow or if you want something a little lighter read 'Alas, Babyon' by Pat Frank or 'Earth Abides' by George Stewart. Others to look up I would recomment would be 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' by Walter Miller and 'The death of Grass' by John Christopher ('No Blade of Grass' the US title).

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2010, 19:40:45 BST
K. Adamson says:
You can't go wrong with Swan Song by Robert McCammon. It's set in a post-nuclear world and focuses on three stories, that of Sister, a former bag-lady, Colonel Macklin, ex-army turned survivalist and his young (dark and twisted) sidekick Roland and Josh and Swan, a young girl with a very special power. Like King's incredible The Stand there is a drawing together of good and evil, but its a wonderful story in its own right - its a long read of maybe 1000 pages or so, but is written so skillfully that you'll find it difficult to put down. I found all the characters believable, empathising with some whilst despising others - parts of the story were quite moving while other parts were disturbing. McCammon weaves a wonderful tale and Swan Song is one of the few books that I've returned to and read on several occasions.

Posted on 10 Aug 2010, 18:18:31 BST
Mr. P. Stamp says:
Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle is a tremendous read about the aftermath of a comet striking Los Angeles - probably in my top 5 books of all time.

Posted on 26 Aug 2010, 00:24:48 BST
Chris says:
James Herbert's '48 and Cormack McCarthy's The Road spring to mind. The former is a grim but gripping depiction of a post WWII London suffering the aftermath of a biological attack, in which gangs roam the deserted city,, quite literally in search of fresh blood. The latter being a post apocalyptic road trip; thin on plot but well drawn.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Dec 2010, 11:37:02 GMT
CLEO JONES says:
Read Robert R MCcamon's Swan song, I think you would like that one on par with the Stand and just as exciting.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Dec 2010, 11:40:09 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 17 Dec 2010, 11:40:56 GMT]

Posted on 31 Jan 2012, 15:50:37 GMT
DKL says:
Nevil Shute's "On the Beach" is an absolute classic.

Posted on 20 Jan 2013, 15:07:14 GMT
good books listed here so far.
Last light is excellent! Will also add One Second After (audiobook version), an excellently crafted tale of what the US could be like after an EMP strike!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  18 Feb 2010
Latest post:  20 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
The Stand (The Complete and Uncut Edition)
The Stand (The Complete and Uncut Edition) by Stephen King (Paperback - 2 May 1991)
4.5 out of 5 stars (576)