Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 18 April 2014
Look behind you is a stunning psychological thriller that keeps you turning the pages till the very end.
Chloe is a teacher who at the start of the novel is trapped, bound and gagged in a chamber. She manages to escape, is found by a passer-by and is taken to hospital where no one believes her story, blaming it on hallucinations from a bad reaction to a drug prescribed. She has lost her memory so cannot explain how she got there, or who imprisoned her. All she is sure of is that it was real.
This novel reminded me of Before I Go to Sleep by S J Watson, with the self doubt inflicted on the protagonist by all about her. I found myself, like Chloe, questioning everyone about her, and desperately seeking the truth. A fantastic read that I would thoroughly recommend.
0Comment| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This has to be the best 77p I have spent in a very long time-for this standard of psychological thriller I usually pay much more!
Chloe Benson awakes locked away entombed somewhere but manages to escape from her kidnapper....or does she? Nobody believes Chloes story blaming a bad reaction to antidepressants and Chloe starts to doubt herself due to her amnesia so starts to retrace her steps to solve what exactly has happened to her.
I absolutely loved this book and read it every second I was able to! I can understand comparisons with Before I go to Sleep and it has the feel of that book but holds its own with its own style and feel. Chloe is an everyday heroine that I really was able to relate to and I was cheering her on every step of the journey she takes to reclaim her memory and her life. Hope Sibel Hodge will write another in this genre and I eagerly await it when she does. Buy this if you loved BIGTS and you will not be disappointed.
33 comments| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2014
This is the first book I've read by Sibel Hodge and it wont be my last. I didn't really know what to expect but the reviews tempted me and I'm pleased they did.

I loved the pace of the book, the character development and interaction. I enjoyed the relationships within the story which had so many twists and turns it left me dizzy. I don't want to give too much away but I loved the ending - great turnaround.

For me it was like watching one of those movies you never want to end and although satisfying, I wanted more - just because I enjoyed the read so much. It was simple yet intriguing. An easy read, a real page turner that I flew through in a few days (I only read when I'm chained to a cross trainer!)

Would I recommend? Yes. Have I downloaded more books by this author? Yes.

It's a no-brainer, add it to your reading list.
VINE VOICEon 23 October 2014
I tend to go through phases with books where I read only a certain type, I’m trying to get out of that habit and read a wider variety but sometimes if you’ve read a particularly good book, you automatically gravitate to similar books. I’m on a psychological thriller binge at the minute. They’re not all ‘chill-you-to-the-bone’ type thrillers, some have been quite tame, they’ve still had me racing to turn the page (well, not all of them but some of them have) but they haven’t actually made me particularly scared.

From the front cover and title of this book, I didn’t expect this to be one of those books. I went into this fully expecting it to completely freak me out and leave me staring at the ceiling half the night, afraid to go to sleep, but afraid to get up and wander the house – just in case.

There is a hint of Sleeping With The Enemy about this “A picture of my kitchen cupboards flashes into my head. Tins, jars, bottles, everything in a perfect line, as if placed there by a magic, ruler-toting fairy. Labels facing outwards. A regulation centimetre gap between them. No clutter in sight. Just the way he likes everything.” And a hint of Into The Darkest Corner “Liam never liked my friends, so gradually it was easier just to let them drop off one be one.” There’s also a definite feeling of Before I Go To Sleep – sorry, couldn’t find suitable quote for this one.

It wasn’t what I expected, it didn’t have the fear factor that I’d expected but I did find it quite disturbing. I was always eager to find out what happened next (and what had actually happened before) and although I was pretty confident I knew who had done it there was always that element of doubt in my mind. I raced through this book pretty quickly, it really was one that I didn’t want to put down.
on 10 May 2014
This book hits the ground running from the first page. English teacher Chloe Benson wakes up disoriented and tied up in a basement. She realises she’s been kidnapped. Despite being in pain, hungry, thirsty and having lost a big chunk of her memory, she pulls herself together and looks for a way to escape.
She finally does just that, and after running through the woods she is found at the side of the road and taken to hospital. This is where the story really starts.

No one believes her story about being kidnapped. Not her doctors, the police, or even her husband Liam. They do have a legitimate reason for being doubtful, which I won’t spoil, and soon even Chloe herself starts to doubt herself. Did she imagine it? Or did it really happen and is she still in danger? Her last memory before waking in the basement is of her husband’s birthday party, which was weeks earlier, and she can’t remember anything that happened since then.

So she realises she has to somehow piece together her missing memories, and work out exactly what happened to her and find a way to prove to everyone that she’s telling the truth.

This book was brilliant. I was a little bit sceptical to begin with as it was a Kindle cheapy, and sometimes that can mean that it’s not going to be that great. But that was certainly not the case here. Chloe’s story had me gripped from the first page and I was just as desperate as she was to find out just what the heck was going on!

My only criticism would be the blurb of the book describing it as the new ‘Gone Girl’. It seems that pretty much every book these days is the new Gone Girl, and it’s getting a bit annoying. It’s nothing like Gone Girl, it’s a fantastic book in its own right so my plea to publishers would be to please stop referring to every mystery/thriller as the new Gone Girl. Seriously, just stop.
But that’s no reflection on the book itself, and I would recommend it to anyone who loves a good mystery. It’s not particularly long at only 238 pages so there’s no padding, it’s definitely all killer and no filler. And it’s currently only 77p on Amazon for the Kindle version. Go buy it right this minute!
on 14 November 2014
I downloaded this book on the basis of the numerous 5 star reviews and was looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately, it was a massive let down and I can only assume that the people who have left glowing reviews either (a) are friends of the author, (b) haven’t read any decent thrillers before or (c) were reading a completely different book to the one I read. It was blindingly obvious from the outset who the guilty party was due to the blatant ‘clues’ and excessive foreshadowing. A couple of times I thought that perhaps I’d misjudged it, as there were a few potential twists that came up – but these were equally unsubtle and turned out to just be massive red herrings or blind alleys that weren’t explored/explained, for example the lead character’s childhood and the fact she didn’t know who her father was (I thought this might be part of the ‘Look Behind You’ reference in the title, but no). There were absolutely no twists or turns in the story and the characters were two dimensional and unlikeable. I skimmed the last few chapters just to get it over and done with – I probably wouldn’t have even bothered finishing it, but for the fact that I was hoping against hope there would be some sort of twist at the end that I hadn’t seen coming, but there wasn’t. The quality of the writing wasn’t great either, and at times it felt like the author had been leafing through a thesaurus to find a different word to use. Not recommended – I wish I hadn’t wasted my time.
on 29 November 2015
It was okay, basically. Chloe has huge memory gaps but is certain she was kidnapped and managed to escape. But with her recent stay in psychiatric hospital, and her caring husband backing up that it's all amnesia, who will help?

Very formulaic. There are so many of this sort of book around, and this offers nothing special. Plenty ore better books to read!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 April 2014
The product description for this book calls it an “edge of your seat psychological thriller” and I have to agree with that 100%. There is a very dark atmospheric start to the read which drew me in immediately and I was hooked from thereon in. Chloe escapes from an underground “tomb” with amnesia, but nobody believes her when she says someone is trying to kill her. Is she telling the truth or is she going mad? It is an extremely addictive read, full of tension, drip feeding underlying menace to the reader on nearly every page and really gets you worrying about Chloe, wanting her to be safe.

Whilst you may think you know what has happened to Chloe, the story twists and turns in such a way that reading it, you are kept guessing all the time. I just wanted to warn Chloe not to trust anyone, at all, nobody, just herself.

It is a quick read, which is probably just as well, because I don’t think my nerves could have handled much more!
on 7 August 2014
I always enjoy Sibel Hodge’s writing and this was no exception. She writes in many genres including quirky humour, rite of passage and this novel was completely different yet again. Not an action-packed novel but a tense, character-led suspense thriller. Ms Hodge introduces the main protagonist from the first page, and immediately the reader is caught up in her dilemma.
Scary in parts, frustrating when the heroine isn’t believed, and one of two red herrings thrown in.
Recommended and awarded 5 stars.
on 16 September 2016
This gripped me from the start,and had to spend the whole afternoon reading it . What a brilliant writer keeping you gripped right to the end. I am going to order a few more of her novels - won't be doing too much housework if all her books are as fast paced and gripping as this one!!