on 12 January 2014
It is a shame to mark this as only 2 stars and I suspect if I had bought the paper version of the book I wouldn't have felt so disappointed by it. The story of Mandela's life is depicted in a way which makes it suitable and engaging for children. However, the extremely poor quality of the text on the Kindle meant that almost every page had large parts of the text which were unreadable due to words not being laid out correctly on the page. On some pages parts of one side of the text were imposed over the top of the other side of the page and it proved impossible to work out what was actually written on either. On other pages there were words missing, as if the whole Kindle book was merely a scanned copy of the original and nobody had even checked whether the whole page was visible on the finished version. Incredibly poor editing (or lack of) - I suggest anyone who wishes to buy this book gets a hard copy to avoid similar disappointment.
on 7 November 2009
I thought this book was an autobiography. It is basically an illustration for children. Tried to return it but I cant return it from Ireland so they tell me. Very disappointed
22 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 August 2011
I regularly use this book with my Year 6 classes when we complete work on biography / autobiography writing. It is a very child friendly book, which used the first person effectively. It is full of interesting facts and information, which the children find very interesting, especially as most of them have heard about Nelson Mandela in some form. It is well illustrated, with an appropriate level of reading to challenge pupils in Key Stage 2.

The only thing that would improve this book, is if it was available to use with an Interactive Whiteboard in CD-Rom form. This would allow whole class shared reading, with annotations and highlighting of the text, instead of me have to scan the book page by page and then faff with combining the double page spread together.

This is a great book, which I would highly recommend to parents and teachers alike, as something that they can share with their children. You'll also learn something yourself by reading it.
on 24 May 2016
Was hoping that this would be a nice easy read to explain the story of Nelson Mandela to the kids. The book itself is ok and nicely illustrated but it was a bit too tricky for my 6 and 8 year olds to understand. The theme of apartheid is not really explained as such so my boys ended up quite confused, almost making it harder for me to explain racism and anti-apartheid to them than without the book. Perhaps too ambitious of me...
on 18 September 2017
My Granddaughter had just been given a project at school all about everything contained in this book . She was ever so thankful to receive this book because it was very well written and explained all about this wonderful man from birth to death .At the back of the book were all the explanations of expressions etc...... she was a very happy wee girl ...
on 2 February 2014
I am the mother of four adopted African children and always looking for good role models for them. Since it is hard to find books for children in Spanish about black people that have done great things I buy them in UK. This is a great collection of books with some black people that have an impressive life full of courage and hard work. Far from the mostly bad role model presented on TV shows. It gives my children a great push to be who they want to be.
There are a lot of books in Spanish abut adoption, children's stories about multiculturalism, etc... But I just wanted biographies of real black heroes!
on 26 December 2013
I got a copy for my twins early this year when it was clear that Mandela was not long for this world and I wanted them to be aware of the hugely important role he played.

It's a lovely book and his story is simply told, with bright illustrations.

It's suitable for a more able 7+ reader and of course needs an adult on hand to help explain and discuss the issues it describes.

My children enjoyed it very much and were therefore very interested in the news coverage of Mandela's death and funeral.

Highly recommended book for all young readers interested in history and human rights.
on 22 February 2015
I bought this book to read with my Literacy class, it is beautifully illustrated and the narrative is clear. We discussed the book as we went through it and although a lot of his life was difficult for them to grasp it gave them overall a clearer picture of life in South Africa and of Nelson Mandelas life. I would recommend it for upper primary with extracts from the unabridged book to add to the content. Altogether a success for my class and it has raised their interest and understanding.
on 1 November 2017
Lovely quality book. Thick pages and beautifully presented. Tells the story of Nelson Mandela well and in simple terms that children would understand. Quite a lot of text so not suitable for very young children but lovely to share with children ages six plus perhaps.
on 28 May 2015
Really frustrating - i bought this for my daughter to read and I'm sure its wonderful but the kindle edition - even on the ipad - is impossible to read in parts because the text overlaps and words cant be made out. Buy the physical copy if you can - we cant living in a place where post does not reach.