on 24 November 2011
This is an excellent book if you travelling to South India. Its been released recently and as such, its up to date. I relied on this guide heavily on my recent trip - in terms of what to see/where to eat/reviews of hotels/restaurants/the history - everything. Its one of my most thumbed through lonely planet guides. LP have changed the structure slightly - ie: putting a lot of the historical information etc at the back of the book instead of the front. They have introduced a new item - called TOP CHOICE - which would mark a restaurant/or a site/ or a hotel as TOP CHOICE. Where we went to the item marked TOP CHOICE, it really would be as it was described. And that was the beauty of this guide. What it described was exactly as it was when you get to that place. This was very useful and enabled us to make good choices.

Well done LP - really made our trip having this guide.
VINE VOICEon 31 January 2012
I bought this guide for a recent trip to India, visiting Goa, Hyderabad, Kerala (Fort Cochin and Alleppey)and Mumbai. I usually buy two guides and the other I bought was Footprint's India India Footprint Handbook (Footprint Handbooks). I was attracted to both because I like Footprint and Lonely Planet but also because they had just had a recent edition come out Sept 2011 - in my view recent is always good in travel guides.

I think this guide says it is the South India section from the Lonely Planet India guide. It appealed to me because it was a bit smaller and easier to pack than a second all India guide.

We liked this guide a lot, it has small maps, useful information and brilliant recommendations for where to eat. We tried many of the Top Choices and they were all interesting places to eat.

The maps were good and gave us quite a good idea of where to go and how to get there but weren't completely accurate and left us a bit lost at times. We were usually able to work it out but it is a bit frustrating. The guide wasn't as good at providing information on the historic sites and museums as the Footprint India guide.

We were very happy overall with this guide and would recommend it.

BTW my friend bought the same version for their Kindle and we didn't find it as useful - very frustrating, because you feel that Kindle editions of guidebooks would just make travelling so much lighter. Mostly I think we were struggling with finding things, we could flip through the book but with the Kindle edition you had to guess at how things were spelled.
on 26 March 2012
I have been using lonely planet for years and really thought that they were the best travel books. I had just spent a year travelling around South America using the Lonely Planet shoe string guide and really trusted the brand. Then I bought this book to go to India with for three months. It is a new format, which doesnt bother me, but to my disapoitnment the BBC who now own lonely planet have removed the things that made the books so good. Most notabley the maps are now worse than useless. They no longer show the wider context of the city and omit most of the street names in the local area you are in. This is really bad, as unless they expect you to only ask a taxi driver for the street that something that they recommend is on, you will get completely lost and wont have a clue where you are. I will not be buying a new edition of lonely planet unless they go back to there old format that included really helpful maps, which were the main reason I bought their books for the last ten years. I have decided to try to buy a second hand edition of an old lonely planet book in the meantime so that I can actualy find my way around the cities that I visit.
44 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2012
I purchased this book to plan a trip to Kerala. The Kerala section is tiny and contains very little information. If you're after a detailed area guide then do not purchase this book (it's only useful for an overview of South India).
on 31 March 2013
Took this book to India with me travelling around Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Goa. It was a very good book for advice on where's good to see and what activities are good to do (Kerala's backwaters for example are amazing). However, it's advice on hotels and places to eat wasn't always up to scratch as often they weren't very nice places at all and the prices the book quoted were very rarely correct, usually the prices were a couple of hundred rupees more at least for the hotels and homestays.

It also did not mention Auro beach in Pondicherry which is a lovely place (I preferred it to the beached in Goa) and is definitely worth a trip. There are many hotels and beach shacks on it's edge. You couldn't find a friendlier bunch of people than the men at Sea Way Guest House.
Lemon Dew Guest House in Allepey was also a lot of fun for backpackers.
on 2 September 2012
As the guide doesn't have a publication date on its inside cover it's difficult to know if it's up to date. This guide book is not and I wonder if the authors have actually visited the places they describe. Very little useful information and I will not buy another Lonely Planet guide again.
on 10 November 2011
We ordered this book in advance of a trip to South India and returned it imediately. It is really just not worth the money, there wqas no more information than in the main India guide and basic information on train travel was pretty poor. For the investment it is really not worth it.
on 27 September 2013
I normally buy Dorling Kindersely Eye Witness guide books but they don't do one for South India. Maybe the standard of their guides has spoilt me for other guides. The Lonely Planet guide was one of the most disappointing guides I have come across. It is chaotically organised, does not even have an index, has few illustrations, the maps are poor and the descriptions of things to see, cursory. A lot of the book consists of hotel and restaurant listings. As most people will have booked their hotels before they get there or had them booked by travel agents, long lists of hotels are a waste of space. For hotel comparisons, like most people, I now use online Trip Advisor, which is always up to date. This book was pretty much a waste of money, as I will have to buy another (and hopefully better) guide book before I go.
on 29 December 2011
I have recently returned from a trip to Mumbai & Kerala & found the book very useful. Only negative comment is that some of the commentary is slightly misleading about the serenity & slow pace in Kerala, nothing could be further from the truth!
on 21 March 2013
I have visited Kerala several times but I wanted to update my information of possible new places and what had happened in those places I knew well. So I have not been a serious tourist and cannot comment in general. Still, the places I knew and visited were accurately and sufficiently presented. The suggestions were useful. And finally, a travel guide as e-book is really practical, except the maps!