Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 October 2013
Having automatically brought lonely planet guides for many years and found then to be pretty good I was very disappointed with the Malaysia guide. The guide was newly updated in 2013 but still had major errors in, for example if you make a single journey that involves multiple lines of the subway/light railway system in Kuala Lumpur, you can now buy one ticket for this rather than a ticket for each line as it says in the guide book. The guide is also missing basic information, such as the closest subway stations for the major attractions in Kuala Lumpur. The maps are so poor and lacking in essential information that they are practically useless. I will certainly be considering other guides instead of lonely planet in the future.
on 7 October 2014
Lonely Planet - Backpackers no more!

The transformation of Lonely Planet to an expense account travel empire continues unabated. Just look at the prices of their recommended hotels in Malaysia! If you are travelling on a budget, I think you will miss out on places to stay if you don't have another source of information.

Make no mistake, this is a useful travel guide for your trip. Most things that you'll want to see are included. However to make the most out of independent travel in Malaysia I would strongly suggest that you pack another guide to complement this one. I use "Malaysia and Singapore Handbook (Footprint Handbooks)" - also available from Amazon (and with a much tougher binding too!).

Independent travellers beware - maps in Malaysia are of small scale and often poor quality. The best guidebooks need to remember this and include plenty. The LP guide really needs to add more to the next edition to qualify for 5 stars (as well as remember their historic strength in finding the quality bargains in cheap places to stay).
on 5 September 2014
I love Lonely Planet having used several of their books before for backpacking (India, South East Asia etc) and have always been very impressed by their accuracy and great layout. However, I was disappointed by this one - there were a lot of errors in road maps, and also guesthouses, which I didn't know until I got there and got lost or had to rush around looking for somewhere else to stay. Places do close and change over time but this was the most recent edition (only 5 months old when I travelled) so a little frustrating. I would suggest also having local maps to hand for directions and always ask or call ahead for confirmation of guesthouses etc.
on 13 March 2014
I bought this to give myself some background information prior to going here on holiday so I can't comment on the accuracy of specific details. However it won't bother me if not all the minute detail is accurate as I hate planning all the adventure out of a trip and the book has given me enough information to allow me to come up with a provisional itinerary for my holiday and whet my appetite for the adventures in store.
on 22 August 2013
Lonely Planet can't help but write inspiring travel guides. I'm so excited for my trip and have been avidly planning what I'm going to be doing using this. Fantastic!
on 1 June 2013
This is a well-written and comprehensive guide book that informs the traveller about everything they'll possibly need to know about, for example, how to get to destinations; top choices for accommodation for both the frugal and lavish spenders; general information regarding cultural, safety and health issues that the traveller shall have to be cognizant of.

There are great synopses provided regarding activities and experiences that these countries have to offer, such as the best places for jungle trekking; mountain climbing, diving, etc and a summary of the top twenty experiences while you're there. There are even sample itineraries outlined for travelers, according to their length of stay.

I cannot recommend this book enough. It is a must-have for any traveller.
on 1 November 2013
A great insightful guide to the wonders of Malaysia, I have Apps but I've always used Rough Guide and Lonely Planet in my travels
on 2 December 2013
Very informative and helpful guide book for planning and arranging places to go and what to see while holidaying Malasia.
on 6 March 2014
Worth a read a a starting point. Vague info on accessing the national parks and the orang-utans... Satisfactory purchase overall
on 25 July 2015
As always a great reference book saving us time in Malaysia.