Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2015
Have been a keen Lonely Planet user for some years .Have always found the useful and relevant for the independent traveller-especially when it comes to transport systems and accommodation. However this one is a real disappointment. I think you could flick through it prior to planning a trip but go elsewhere for details to help detailed planning. .I wouldn't buy it-just borrow it from a library, although the town maps seem relatively useful.
Details of places are perfunctory and not particularly interesting. I tried to use it to find hotels in Atlanta-there seemed to be essential information missing as to the safety of some locations. Maybe I missed the mention but The Georgian Terrace Hotel didn't seem to feature at all. This is a 'listed' building and the site of the premiere of 'Gone with the Wind'. Superficial and lacking in detail
My suggestion is not to buy but borrow , and use it as a general pack of suggestions for planning a trip. Don't expect the usual detail and vivacity of a Lonely Planet guide
on 22 March 2015
I bought this as I am going to Georgia and South Carolina. The writing is very gushing! I don't need to know that somewhere is a 'darling little inn'. It lapses into colloquial language. Is that to be hip or cool or whatever the right term is? As a 64 year old Brit I don't even understand it sometimes. More facts and less flummery please.
The book also suffers from covering everywhere from New England to Florida so that there is no room for much detail. Information on how to get to the islands off Georgia is missing. Do I need ferries or are they sand spits I can drive into? The index is also very poor and is not reliably inclusive. For example, there is a section in the text on Congaree National Park but no entry in the index.
If there is a structure, beyond the very broad geographical sections I have yet to find it so I find myself reading about some place which is miles from where I am interested in and only discover this by checking the map.
on 22 September 2015
Overall a very useful guide to Eastern USA, we used it for a trip this summer and found it very helpful with lots of good recommendations. However there were a few cases where things it mentioned no longer existed, and hadn't been around for quite a few years so it could do with being updated and there were a few omissions of things we found which were not mentioned but were definitely up with the top things to do in an area.
on 8 December 2015
Used this guide to determine our road trip route and visits around Chicago, Washington and Boston. Very informative and useful for places to see, things to experience and varied restaurants to try.
on 18 April 2015
Using this to plan a road trip from NYC to Miami, has proved very useful in conjunction with online searches, will be taking it with us on our travels
on 28 October 2015
This book aids our future holiday planning a great deal. We have used several Lonely Planet Guides in the past and have served us well.
on 18 June 2014
Ideal for my sons' summer working at Camp America. It contains some good information for when he is travelling afterwards.
on 9 April 2016
Only ok, probably tries to cover too much in one book and in larger cities the recommendations are almost redundant.
on 23 May 2014
Very useful guide to have when away. I kept it on my kindle and iphone and could refer to it off line too. Thanks.
on 13 January 2016
As always with the lonely planet series this book is informative and contains great tidbits of info.