on 12 July 2009
I admit it.... I am a Rough Guide, or Guide du Routard fan for travel books, and this Lonely Planet guide just made me realise why. The book is well presented and I was surprised to that I liked it.
Top marks for the Background section and the Itinerary Builder. I'll take this book plus the Rough Guide when I visit.
on 14 February 2012
Having stayed in Chicago for only two days, I have to say this guide was a little extensive for my purposes! I don't have much to add to the other reviews. The book is glossy and quite well-presented, and the background and history sections were a nice addition. I did find the guide difficult to use at times, since it is divided into sections: "Shopping", "Eating", "Drinking", etc, whereas I prefer all aspects to be included in the main section about that part of town as it is easier to reference everything at once.

The map was handy, as were the restaurant reviews which indicate price. There was the odd little bit of information I found to be inaccurate, although that may just be down to venues changing their pricing, policies, opening hours, etc, after the guide was printed. Generally I think I do prefer the Rough Guides, but overall I was very pleased with this book.
on 7 April 2012
Informative guide book which proved very useful when in Chicago. Speedy delivery and excellent value for money. Would recommend for short visits to the city.
on 31 October 2013
Bizarre structure, difficult to find what you're looking for and fold out fifty map wasn't practical when out and about.
on 19 February 2015
Helped me a lot when I went to Chicago on holiday. Ueful tips as well as guide/tourist information
on 19 January 2013
I bought this book for a friend who was spending a week in Chicago recently (over Christmas 2012) and she found it extremely useful....her relatives work during the day and could only take her round the town in the evenings so during the day she made extensive use of the guide and went about with confidence...many thanks....
on 9 November 2014
Excellent
on 8 March 2010
had the lonely planet with me on a trip to Chicago, was really helpful to plan walks round the city and to find some great restaurants.
on 26 March 2016