on 4 August 2014
When we visited the Caribbean many years ago, we made good use of the Lonely Planet guide to the Eastern Caribbean, which was really useful and reliable. Unfortunately, you can only get a hardcopy LP guide to the whole Caribbean now - but I invested in a copy remembering how useful the old book was.

Sadly, this guide was almost useless. Although it said it had been updated in 2011, much of the information inside hadn't been revised since 2009 or earlier, and with plenty of recent development on the islands we visited, this meant it was pretty useless. Restaurants had closed or moved, new ones had opened, and even the maps - which turned out to be the most useful part - were out of date with new or changed roads. The background about the islands, which is usually interesting and worth reading, was also out of date, and we learnt more about current affairs from our taxi driver from the airport.

Even the practical information in the guide was misleading - for example, many/most of the hotels on St Kitts now use US voltage (110V), but the guide still just says 220V. A lot of information we would have found useful just wasn't there - locations of petrol stations and supermarkets out of the capital, restaurants with children's menus, not being able to take a rental car from St Kitts to Nevis, etc.

I don't know whether the information on the other islands is equally patchy and out-dated, but reading through the rest of the book, a lot of the guide seemed aimed at people on cruises with a day at each of various islands, short on detail and practicalities. In places, the guide seemed to be written for a US audience (e.g. 'visit the US Virgin Islands without worrying about border crossings or passports…').

I'm not sure who Lonely Planet's target market is these days - on the one hand, trying a bit too hard to be cool 'liming with the locals', but there's not much practical information for younger independent travellers e.g. where to buy food without spending a fortune eating out. There's also very little information aimed at families (child friendly restaurants, toilets, etc.) So I'm guessing, middle aged Americans on cruise ships who want to feel like they're seeing the 'real' Caribbean (whatever that is)?

Considering the price, I wish I hadn't bothered buying this. We got better information from TripAdvisor, Wikipedia, the complementary magazine in the our hotel room, and our taxi driver.
on 10 February 2013
I bought this for a caribbean cruise holiday which had multiple island visits and as we only had a day at each island the book gave a great insight and overview for highlights which was really useful for our quick visits. I aim to go back to a few islands and explore in more detail so will be taking this book along with me again.
on 17 November 2014
Although the book is indeed outdated, It was very useful to help us decide where in the Caribbean to go. It was also nice to see the main attractions in each place. It is unrealistic to expect detailed information on every single island in this book. It would make it 10 times bigger.
I think it is a good starting point to plan a vacation and decide which specific guides for particular islands to get.
It is a bit big, so I am not sure I will be taking it with me on my trip.
on 8 January 2015
Again, I have not started my backpacking to these islands yet, to be started March 2015, but I am finding the Cuba section very comprehensive and standing up to the usual excellent standards of the L.P. travel books. Thank you.
on 31 January 2014
I expected lots of pictures in this book which always makes it look more appealing so it was not really what I wanted but as I was unable to see inside the book before I purchased it I could not have known.
on 21 March 2013
Its always a toss-up between Lonely Planet and Rough Guide for me. They are both good, but one has different information to the other. In this instance, chose LP as it was in kindle form which RG wasn't and weight was an issue.
on 28 May 2013
was not useful on our trip. unfortunately it is really not easy to navigate and find info that you need. we always use lonely planet books and this was our first electroni copy. never again.
on 5 March 2013
Quite interesting as always, but maybe a bit mudlled: difficult to choose the perfect holiday destination...
Probably missing tables allowing to cross check characteristics of different Caribbean islands.
on 18 December 2011
Whilst this book does have some good information about each of the islands included, the travel information was quite biased towards those coming from the US. Additionally the hotel information predominantly covered budget accommodation and when resorts or more up scale hotels were mentioned it was more often than not only in passing and in a derogatory manner without giving any explanation for this, as if the fact that they had an all inclusive option was explanation enough.
on 16 March 2014
Good, detailed book giving you all the info you need to know about what to see and where to go in the Caribbean. We used it on our recent trip and it was a godsend. Don't leave home without it!