on 20 October 2009
Unlike the other reviewer, I do not work in mental health. But I would recommend this book to anyone. It has a deeply important message - that loneliness is not just a troubling and painful psychological experience, but rather harmful to phyical health. Perhaps more importantly, the experiences of loneliness creates a vicious circle in which the sufferer's social intelligence is impaired, causing them to misread people's attempts to include them, become less trusting, less persevering and more prone to retreat further into isolation and pessimism. Thought-provoking stuff...

The book helped me to look again at periods in my own life where I have felt lonely, and think again about the consequences this feeling led to.

I have only not given it five stars because individual chapters are not very well structured. The book itself has a three part structure, which works. But too often I found myself reading a variation on the overall theme, without being clear on how this fitted into his argument.

But putting aside these issues, this is an excellent, important and timely piece of work.
on 13 August 2014
This book took a while to get into maybe I should have concentrated more on it because now I find it really interesting. It has answered why I have done some of the things I have in my life purely because I was so lonely and isolated. It is perfectly natural to feel lonely it points out we are primed to be social to function and get what we need. Some people like solitude some don't - I don't but know I know that's perfectly normal. If you are lonely it is a good book to read puts things in context.
on 16 April 2014
Firstly you do not have to consider yourself "lonely" to get an awful lot from this book. If however , you do suspect that you or a loved one are becoming aware of feelings of loneliness, this book will help explain what you may be feeling, possibly explain why these feelings have presented themselves and in doing so, give you knowledge to deal with any anxiety and fear you may be feeling when looking into your present situation and give you an outlook and options for the future.

This is not designed as a self help book but, with solid evidence It clearly explains why loneliness is a perfectly normal emotion, the effects it can have on your health and how the need for connection binds us all and has done since the beginning.

Its well written, easy to connect with and a great read full of "aha" moments that certainly rang true with me.

This is a book that I have high lighted passages within and will return to again and again.

A book on an area of human nature and social connection, written in perfectly understandable, lay terms.
on 28 January 2016
Finally a book that deals with man living in society! Far too many books focus only on the individual, as if we are all living in an ivory tower without any influence from our environment, friends and family. Turns out that social contact is a basic component of human nature - like it or not.

We all may have suspected at one time or another that some people have influence over us - again, like it or not. The stupidest thing you can do to yourself is denying the fact that you actually care about what others think of you (or just very few people, but you still care).

Unfortunately, Western society is much too focussed on the individual, while the idea of one against all (or one above all) is toxic. We are programmed to live in groups, just like any other advance monkey and we better accept the fact and deal with it in the best possible way, for our sake and the sake of humankind at large. And what would be wrong in a world where people actually aknowledge others and care about them?
on 19 January 2012
This was a very good book. Alot of good solid information, and very interesting and relevant.

The problem with the book, is that it is divided into smaller chapters, and it is more often than not hard to keep track of the train of thought of the writers. The titles of the chapters have a relation to the content of the chapters, but they are sometimes hard to capture and should be harder for a layman to grasp.
At one point for example they start talking about a study, but they never follows up to speak of the results, and why they included the study in the first place...(page 95)
Many times through the book i asked myself "what is the red thread here?"

In spite of this, it is exscellent in every way and I loved it. I will remember it as important and one of the best books i have read.

It can also be helpful as a self-help book. The morale being that you can break a negative circle of loneliness by "random acts of kindness". I loved it more as a scientific work, but the helping part i appreciated also

I hope this review will help you decide wether to buy or not
on 21 February 2009
As I work in mental health field I found this book to be very important. Social contact is so important for us yet unfortunatly generally ignored or dealt with. This book shows the research on how company,or lack of it effects people. As society becomes more fragmented and atomised, you can see further problems will develop. I should say its not a depressing book,just thought provoking.
on 29 August 2014
the language can at times be heavy going and needs a reread, however it gave me a lot of insight in to difficulties I now have as an adult in social situations and where those have steamed from. no advise on how to change things however.
on 20 May 2015
In my research about the global effects that Loneliness has on our physical, mental and emotional health I stumbled across this very interesting book. His in depth knowledge on the subject was what my soul was searching for in order to demystify this global social problem and bring an edge to the work that I am currently doing. Loneliness is conditions that affect all human beings, this book gave me the many scientific research I was seeking. It is a wake up call for people across the world to see Loneliness as public concern that has been with us in the past, is in the present and will continue to be with us in our future. Loneliness is a global social problem, the product of an excessively conformist culture or of a breakdown in social norms. Read this book cover to cover and let your mind be fed with the knowledge required to break through Loneliness.
on 26 October 2013
This is an excellent book and well worth reading. However the quality of the diagrams in the kindle edition is very poor. Looking at the diagrams on an ipad gives somewhat better results than on kindle 3 but the quality remains atrocious. This is a problem that affects all books on kindle containing graphs, maps and diagrams. Sort it out amazon before apple does and you start losing customers.
on 14 November 2010
The authors have done an excellent job of finding out all the bad things that loneliness can do to us, but they missed out two important questions: what makes us lonely, and if we are lonely, what can we do to overcome it? We know it is bad, and to show exactly how bad it is can be informative, but it is hardly helpful.