Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.70

on 14 January 2014
London can be a demanding city: all that sightseeing, shopping, eating and drinking can take it out of you. Luckily the city is packed with hundreds of green places where you can clear your head and let your credit card cool down a bit. Some, like Hyde Park, you may think you already know, but were you aware that that in 1665 Londeners camped there to escape the Great Plague? Have you heard of the tiny "pocket park" of St Anne's Churchyard in Soho? Or that you could go to Highgate Cemertery and pay your respects to Douglas Adams as well as Karl Marx (or George Eliot and Max Wall?) I found this clever little book told me new things about places I thought I knew, and introduced me to plenty of fresh ones I had never heard of, and explained about things like opening hours, cafes etc. Thank goodness the days of guide books in black and white are over - go to the map at the start of each regional chapter, find where you are and head for the nearest patch of green.
on 24 November 2013
Initially got this as inspiration for somewhere different to walk my dog and was really impressed by the breadth and scope of information, and it's got me exploring London again. It's handy to have such a diverse number of parks all gathered together in one place, and I found the coverage of south London especially good. Same goes for the City - have been travelling up on Sundays to check out some of the unexpected places, like Postman's Park and Bunhill Fields. Nice book!
on 20 September 2015