A London Family, 1870-1900: A Trilogy - "London Child of the 1870's", "London Girl of the 1880's", "London Home of the 1890's" (Oxford letters & memoirs) Paperback – 17 Oct 1991
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
This volume contains the first three of her autobiographies: A London Child of the 1870s, A London Girl of the 1880s and A London Home of the 1890s. Molly Hughes had a great talent for telling a story well, for introducing the reader to characters and letting them tell us their own stories. Her great gift for writing elevates these books from the categories of social history or autobiography. Her experiences and observations of life and humanity are just as relevant today as they were a century ago and anyone interested in pondering These Great Questions should read her work. As should anyone who wants to curl up with a cup of tea and a book that will feel, on first reading, as if it were already an old friend...
The extracts I've read are often funny and as the blurb says, Victorian life was obviously not as depressing as we are often led to believe!.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
An endearing picture of life of an ordinary family at the end of the 19th centuryPublished 12 months ago by Carol Hardyman
Well written life story of a most unusual woman. Gallops along and often amusing.Published 12 months ago by L Bristow
I was given the fourth of these books 'A London Family Between the Wars' as a gift and found it gently charming. Read morePublished on 14 April 2014 by fabric junkie
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Social & Urban History
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Social & Urban History
- Books > Biography > Political > Britain
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > British Heads of State
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Queen Anne, Georgian, Victorian 1701-1901
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology