Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 10 September 2014
Review policy: if I can't award 3 or more stars then I don't post a review. I mark on technical considerations; I will not slate a book just because I don't like a genre or a story, unlike many people who post so-called "honest" reviews. If I feel there's an issue then I will try to contact the author for clarification. Fairness, not vindictive point-scoring, is how I work.

The review:

This is a neat little story about a young woman who, well, travels to London from Cornwall in true British fish-out-of-water style. The whole promo copy tells you the kind of genre it is so there should be no misunderstandings (which is what has happened with some of the reviewers, I'm sorry to say), and it certainly lived up to my expectations.

I didn't laugh at every page, nor did I expect to; we all take humour differently and I'm not so easy to amuse—but I can say that, had I watched this as a 30-minute one-off television comedy, then due to the story's atmosphere and delivery I would have enjoyed it AND wanted to transfer it to DVD so I could get it out to watch again in future. And that's how I feel about the book: it's a good piece of escapism.

In other words, it delivered.
on 17 February 2014
this book is fairly short and is a quirky story with some unexpected and hilarious twists, I would highly recommend it
on 11 October 2012
Very well written with a laugh on almost every page, London, The Doggy and Me is great fun and a thoroughly enjoyable read.
on 4 September 2012
There's a story that does the rounds. Everyone in London knows someone who has a friend who had a mate who was housesitting for some wealthy friends of their family. While the homeowners were away, their beloved pet dog died, and so this friend of a distant acquaintance stuffs the dog into a suitcase so they can dispose of its body. On the Tube... well, let's just say that when I saw the cover to "London, the Doggy and Me" I assumed Rosen Trevithick was merely writing down an urban legend that I've been hearing in the capital since at least 2009.

Although Rosen's book is clearly inspired by this apocryphal story, however, her tale of an aspiring actress beset on all sides during a trip to London to audition for her dream role expands the story far beyond its origins as a tall tale for late nights in the pub. The actress's mortifying experience in a West End theatre, her very brief love triangle between Neanderthal Derek and new neighbour Rick, and her surprising discoveries in the house she is looking after all combine to produce a brief but entertaining tale.

Well-written and sometimes very funny, London, the Doggy and Me is well worth a read.
on 11 January 2016
Another humorous read from this author where moments of 'horrible' coincide with laughter - always makes great comedy because it highlights human frailty and yet makes us laugh (although you may have to be British to really appreciate it.)

It demonstrates those times in our lives that so often plague us while compelling a smile due to our understanding of human dilemmas and possible options; we can relate so easily and be glad that it hasn't happened to us yet - maybe.

A quirky and fun read.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2015
Read the fabulous reviews and thought I would be in for a treat. How wrong was I?
This tale started off OK but gradually became more ridiculous as it neared the end.I did feel sorry for the dog, what was wrong in telephoning for the vet? Thankfully it was a short story which I was not too unhappy about ending.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2012
OK, so I think I have read everything that Rosen Trevithick has written and it still continues to amaze me about the breadth of her writing capabilities. When I saw this advertised, I jumped on it! I have read some things of hers which have been simply gut-wrenching (The Selfish Act, On the Rocks) to things that I have thought "how in the hell does she come up with this stuff?!?!"(Straight Out of University) This falls into the "how in the hell does she come up with this stuff?!?!" category. This book was quirky and hilarious at the same time. I thought it reminded me of one of those funny British short skits that could possibly happen to the most unfortunate of people. I was reminded of Sibel Hodge's, How to Dump Your Boyfriend in the Men's Room, where you can't help but laugh at the misfortune of the main character. It is that famous sarcastic, British wit that I could eat all day. Simply another winner from her.
on 16 March 2012
I love humour that is quintessentially British - this book is quirky, surreal and has a dry sarcastic wit that probably only us Brits will fully appreciate. I recently read two more 'laugh out loud' books, Ben Elton's hilarious Chart Throb and Tony Royden's wonderful black comedy thriller The Dealer, both thoroughly enjoyed for the same 'British-ness' as London, the Doggy and Me.

This was a very enjoyable read. Now, maybe I'm being petty, but I'm docking it one star for it only being a short story...I wanted to read more! I'd highly recommend it for all you lovers of British comedy.
on 6 September 2012
OK, so I have a sick sense of humour, but this made me laugh out loud, especially towards the end. There were one of two toe-curling deliciously nasty eeeoow moments which were both funny and horrid. It kept me up late because I wanted to finish it.

The writing is good, fluid and with a lightness of touch, the characterisation excellent. I feel like I've met these people.
on 18 February 2012
A hilarious short story about a young woman on a quest to realise her life's dream that had me laughing out loud. The scene on the tube will be lasting in my memories especially! Gleefully recommended.