Top critical review
2 people found this helpful
A potentially amazing product ruined by one massive flaw
on 23 February 2015
I have used Logitech products for over a decade, and have found them to be well-priced, well-built, and well-thought out. That is not the case with this gamepad unfortunately, simply due to the huge dead-zone area (the area you move the analog sticks before actual in-game movement happens). This makes any sort of fine or precise movement impossible, or at the very least, frustrating.
The background to me buying this device is that I had a ps3 controller connected to my PC for games, but got tired of having to use external software to map buttons in games. I prefer the Sony controller style over Microsoft, so this product seemed ideal for me. You plug it in and it is recognised as an official Microsoft controller, so no fiddling or mapping with external software was needed.
Unfortunately, the huge dead-zones ruin an otherwise great product, and I am far from the only person having this issue, as a quick search on the Internet proves. This means it is not a faulty unit, but a massive design flaw. Logitech are claiming it is an X-Input problem due to the nature of the API being quite low level, but I bought a wired Microsoft controller after this and it works fine. You can switch the controller to DirectInput, but then you need to install the Logitech software and it isn't recognised as an official Xbox controller.
- Very well built
- Great ergonomics (Slightly larger than PS3 Controller, with stiffer triggers)
- Great price
- Works flawlessly from a connectivity perspective
- DPAD is solid and clicky, not mushy like the XBOX one
- Option to use DirectInput easily for older games via switch
- Option to easily use DPAD as either a HATswitch or a copy of left analog stick on the fly via button
- Massive Deadzone on the analog sticks ruins a great product
- No Vibration. However, I didn't expect it at this price point. The F510 fills this role.
Buy for games where precise analog aiming isnt needed, such as racing games, or to use for fighting games etc. with the DPAD. However, better options exist for both. If not for the Deadzone issue this product would receive 5/5.