Well Logging for Earth Scientists Hardcover – 18 Jun 2008
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
Well logging lies at the intersection of applied geophysics, petroleum and geotechnical engineering. It has its roots in the tentative electrical measurements in well bores which were made by the Schlumberger brothers some 80 years ago in the earliest days of systematic petroleum exploration. Today, a variety of specialized instruments is used to obtain measurements from the borehole during, as well as after, the drilling process. This readable and authoritative treatment of the physics of these measurements dispels the "black magic" of well log interpretation by relating them, including those obtained by the latest generation of tools, to rock physics. It offers a thorough exposé of the physical basis of borehole geophysical measurements, as well as an introduction to practical petrophysics -- extracting desired properties from well log measurements.
"Well Logging for Earth Scientists", 2 nd edition, is thoroughly revised and extended with three new chapters, many new illustrations and expanded and updated references in each chapter.
Audience: This graduate level textbook with many exercises can also serve as a useful handbook for practicing earth scientists (geophysicists, geologists, or petroleum engineers).
Top customer reviews
If you need to know about geophysical logging technology, then this book is for you.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
One star off because the print quality on the figures is terrible. Like they were all scanned in (poorly) from the previous edition? No idea what went wrong but it's really bad. Many cases where it's impossible to make out labels and very hard to distinguish different line types in the logs and in the graphs. The print quality for the text itself is fine.
But did not notice the size of the book (it's a little small) and the font size is small to read.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Chemistry > Mineralogy
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geology > Economic Geology
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geophysics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electrical > Energy
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Energy Technology > Fossil Fuels
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Petroleum, Mining & Geological > Drilling
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Applied Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Geology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics > Applied Physics