on 11 November 2012
Book Review: The Crucible of Dawn : Lodestone Book 3 by Mark Whiteway
Reviewed by J Bryden Lloyd

Writing Style - 5.0/5.0 (Outstanding)
There was never a doubt in my mind that the standard of writing I found in the opening parts of this trilogy, would be maintained to the conclusion of the tale. And it was.
Like the first instalment, this book continues in the same excellent writing style. The dialogue and the strength of the scene building is testament to the hard work of what I consider to be an exceptional author with remarkable skill. This is - if possible - a better example than its predecessor.

Character Development - 5.0/5.0 (Outstanding)
Along with our original characters, yet more come into the remarkable tale that forms around these hopeful heroes. The hu-mans, the real enemy of the Kelanni people, are revealed in brilliant detail and rightly vilified as the oppressors of the race. But in amongst those are some who would be on the side of the righteous... almost.
The characters formed by this ongoing tale will remain with you and Mr Whiteway provides the fuel to make their characters live and breathe in copious volumes.
I thought the pace of the story allowed me to fully immerse myself in the characters, and when it was time to stand and be counted, human nature played the key ingredient.

Descriptive - 5.0/5.0 (Outstanding)
Once again, phenomenal world building made this the exceptional work that it is. Beyond that, the realistic characters, simple-yet-impossible problems facing the heroes of the piece, and the carefully drawn technology and abilities to use it, really did make this an outstanding example of modern science fiction.

Language & Grammar - 5.0/5.0 (Outstanding)
Mr Whiteway's command of language is superb. The editing and structure were solid and the high standard of vocabulary were excellent. From start to finish, the undertone of knowledge of the English language is clear, and this author works hard to make every image flow through the wording.

Plot - 5.0/5.0 (Outstanding) *MINIMAL SPOILERS*
As the story continues, the Kelanni find themselves seeking out the lodestone weapon built by the Hu-mans; a technologically advanced and typically destructive example of our wondrous species.
With new allies, the plot is intricately twisted around the issues of who can, and who cannot be trusted. The story build brilliantly around stopping the Hu-mans, but it's a plot which takes Shann, Keris and the others back to where they began for a showdown that could destroy everything.
The all-or-nothing threat is nicely rounded and consumes the characters in a hugely entertaining series of sub-plots as they endeavour to save their people.

General - 5.0/5.0 (Outstanding)
I recall mentioning that I may have to copy and paste a whole review if this book was as good as the second part. I'm happy to announce that it's not. It's better!
Probably the best sci-fi trilogy I've read in a long time... and I believe there is more to come.

Five Stars! No doubts.
on 28 March 2018
Loved the basis of the story starting with Hu Mans being the invaders. The characters ate great and their interaction keeps you reading.
on 8 February 2013
I downloaded book one onto my Kindle as a quick free read and wanted to know where the author was taking the story so bought book two as it was not expensive. By this stage I knew I'd have to buy book three - which I have just finished. The tale is well woven and although the main story is resolved in book three I'm about to buy book four as one of the protagonists clearly has another story in him.

Would buy more from this author.
on 9 February 2012
The author is a nasty man! He's gone and left me panting for more...

An excellent 3rd book of the series!
Lots of action and intrigue, right from the start and all the way through the book.
A few more characters introduced, and some others fleshed out somewhat more.
The 'cliff hanger' at the end of the 2nd book is, of course, resolved - although quite late on in this one, and more aspects of the Chandara are explained.

Without giving details of the plot - which I endeavour NOT to do - the only thing I can say is you must get this book!
(And if you haven't started reading the series - Well, get a move on! You are being left behind!)

Highly recommended series, and I'll have to go and read them all again, so that I can further savour the details.

Just waiting for the 'nasty man' to write the next one, now....
on 5 December 2012
I really didn't think I'd be able to stomach the first book in this series but a dearth of material meant I had to struggle on. As a result the storyline did eventually capture my interest and the characters took on some life for me. I've now read three of them and would read another if it turned up. Not great literature though, somewhat wooden, but some of the best in the cheap to free side of the Kindle selection.
on 16 June 2013
It gets better. Two races co-operative to defeat mankind on a remote planet. But hints indicate that one of the two races is itself an interloper that has lost its history and appears simply to be developing a new science. In the end they are about to start the race to the stars, but will they repeat mankind's mistakes, or perhaps their own. Great cliff hanger.
on 3 January 2017
Having picked the first Lodestone book because it was free meant that I didn't necessarily have the greatest expectations for this.... suffice to say, I am now just about to buy book four, having been dragged into Mark Whiteway's fantastic creation...Bravo Sir!
on 2 April 2013
Fast paced - great story arc - satisfying conclusion (thought not quite what I thought it would be!)
Wasn't quite sure where the ending and lead in to book 4 was going but stayed calm and carried on.
on 16 December 2015
good book
on 8 November 2012
It was a easy to get into book that had led on from the other two. Great for people who enjoy scy fy. You felt that you got to know the characters, and see them evolve.