• Load

Customer reviews

Load
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 April 2017
Simply put , this must be metallica's most underrated album of all . What's in here is a band that has put great maturity in their music and the production and clearity of each single instrument shines through the whole mix. I happen to be a musican myself who has been following the evolution of rock music since the eighties. Many a die hard metallica fan may brush it aside when compared to their previous albums , but this has to be in my opionion one of their best! And it keeps growing on you . I don't want to put down any of their other stuff as the classic metallica will always remain , but .....This is a true gem ! Listen to it carefully and your ears are sure to proove me right .
on 1 September 2017
I really love this album from Metallica and although a lot of people, including die hard fans, dissed it and said it wasn't Metallica at their best, I think it was and it's good for a band to diverse a bit and not just keep churning out the same old crap. Nice one lads! Definitely worth the blood, sweat and............you know what! *GRINS*
on 14 August 2017
Great price fast delivery
on 29 March 2017
Great rock album
on 14 April 2016
I love Metallica, and this album rocks........HARD!!!!!!
on 23 May 2016
Not bad
on 16 March 2017
finally! the one i was missing! collection is complete now!
on 30 August 2017
Product was exactly as show
on 18 October 2015
Short hair? Make-up? Cigars? What's going on?! What happened to Metallica? Did they... sell out?! OH NOOOOO!!!!!

These are just some of the things the metal community were complaining about back in 1995, when Metallica changed their image and their sound and released 'Load'. Anyone with an open mind will see that there are some really good compositions on this album, but sadly the metal community, as reliable as ever, couldn't get past the fact that Metallica changed their look and "sold out". In fact, most of 'em were still complaining about Metallica releasing a music video in 1988 when they said they never would. Metal elitists... at least they're consistent.

This may not be Metallica's best release, but there are songs on here that definitely stand side-by-side with anything Metallica had done before. 'Ain't My Bitch', 'Until It Sleeps', 'King Nothing' and 'Bleeding Me' are all classics. Even the country-influenced 'Mama Said' is a great tune (unless you're an 80's thrash metal fan who's still trying to get over the ‘Black Album’). But for all its strengths, there is one major problem that bugs me about this album; the duration. Alone, any song on 'Load' is a great track (yes, that includes 'Ronnie'), but when you listen to it all in one sitting, it really feels like you've heard the same song multiple times. It's tough.

I can admit, this may not be Metallica's finest hour, but don't be swayed by any "metal" reviews, because it's not a metal album. It's a rock album, and a bloody good one, at that!
on 13 June 2009
I can't believe I am writing this album a review (and giving it 4 stars!). I'll tell you why. I was one of those Metallica fans that at the time of release of Load had a lot of difficulty with this album and the band. They had changed their sound, look and attitude which I had trouble accepting. It began with The Black album, an album I didn't hate but wasn't bothered with either. Even now I think that album is over-rated. Even so the day when Load was released I bought it. I went home, pulled it out its sleeve but before i'd even played it I got the jitters. All the trendy, posing photos inside put me off straight away, these images are not what Metallica are about. They are not U2 (they even got Anton Corbain to do them). And they still suck. So I pressed play and I think I got to the 2nd song before losing interest. By the 4th track I couldn't care less. No Leper Messiah, Battery, One, MOP, Shortest Straw, Creeping Death in sight. Thank-you and goodbye. I never played it again until 2 weeks ago, so thats over ten years! So what happened?

A few weeks ago I watched Metallica play at the O2, touring Death Magnetic. 6th song in they play this immense tune which I did not recognise, I am blown away by the heavy, spiraling riff. I am spellbound. I find out (yeah you guessed it) it's from Load and is The Outlaw Torn. So I pull out the album, blow dust off it and press play on this track and am again blown away. Since then I have had this album on repeat. I played it 6 times in a row and fully appreciating Aint My Bitch, House that Jack Built, King Nothing, Bleeding Me, Wasting my Hate and of course The Outlaw Torn.

So a thrash-head has been converted. It seems Metallica really are the Kings of heavy rock/metal/thrash. This album is a classic and rightly deserves to be up there with their best. You just have to get over the photos, a few dodgy tunes (Mamma Said, 2x4 and a few others) and chill. If you doubt me, play The Outlaw Torn at full volume and see......