on 8 December 2005
I bought this book prior to emigrating to Australia as I thought that it would be helpful, especially following the rave reviews and accolades it has been given. However in going through the book I have a number of issues with it.
Firstly, I found the book to be really negative, and if I didn't know better, it would have put me off going there in the first place.
Secondly, we (my wife and I) have found our experiences to be quite different to those listed by the book. We found the book to be either just plain wrong (e.g. with renting accommodation - we didn't need any references!) or by stating the blindingly obvious, which seems to cover about 90% of the book (e.g. wear black to a funeral, dress smartly for job interviews, buy a bike of the correct size).
Whereas what we really needed was accurate information specific to Australia, not vague or general statements, and this book seriously fails to deliver on that front. Since we moved here, less than 4 weeks ago, we have consigned the book to the bookshelf, where it will be left to rot. My sister is also emigrating to Australia, and I am not even going to give her this book, as I have found it to be so useless.
on 17 August 2002
I've read a couple of other books aimed at wannabe Oz migrants, and this one is by far the best. This book goes into detail, some of it is mind numbing detail, but could prove useful one day. Topics include visas, health, education, finance, sport, motoring and much much more.
0Comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse