on 6 June 2014
Having read Pritchard's excellent book "God Lost and Found" I was looking forward to this and although it is a very different book, I wasn't at all disappointed. This really is a book which tackles how you can bring your faith into your day-to-day life and also how faith helps you tackle not just the big issues but the smaller issues which we face on a daily basis too,

Each chapter follows a similar format; first the issue (for example, money, sex, politics, shopping, justice, marriage, friendship, life on a finite planet, death) is defined, the problem pinpointed; then there's a section asking, how could we think about this, bringing in facts, references, quotes; then a section on what we could do differently; a few apt quotations from a vast variety of sources; an "anchor passage" from the Bible; then discussion questions (the book would make a great study course for group work, and is clearly written with that in mind, but is equally fine to tackle by yourself) and finally a directional prayer. Each chapter is quite short and an easy read; there's no padding whatsoever, the text is punchy, pithy and full of meat and muscle.

For anyone who wants to live their faith but isn't sure how to do so, for anyone who wonders how faith can be relevant in a modern world, for anyone who, having been sent out on a Sunday starts floundering on a Monday, this book is a very welcome and useful manual. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 22 June 2013
The absence of whole-life discipleship remains one of the vulnerabilities of the church in western Europe today. Sunday, Monday and the rest of our lives need to join up. We are more than rota possibilities, warm fellowship and good for monetary contributions.

Practicalities, theology, bible, narrative, prayer and quotations all fill this title with an energy and faithfulness to challenge all readers. This would be particularly helpful for a young Christian as it offers so much breadth, insight and wisdom. Bishop John is brilliantly practical and faithful in his trademark writing style.

God is re-centred as the purpose, glory and Lord of all in this. Pritchard stitches together the big invitation of God,alongside life's failings, hopes, truth and tragedy.
The early section on living gracefully is a particular favourite for me: inviting that we 'stay close to the grace-giver.' The resources that are at the close of each chapter are roomy, provocative and add so much to each theme. Bishop John makes a compelling case for closing the gap between the sacred and the secular. This is a moving multi-dimensional approach to following Jesus with greater commitment, grit and grace. This is a great SPCK production in the design detail, format and completed product.

This is earthed, real and yet full of godly wisdom. It's easy reading but all about challenging living!
on 23 June 2013
This book was selected by my local church reading group. I read a great many Christian books as well as the Bible to inspire, guide and encourage me "to be conformed to the image of his Son" as St.Paul says of God In Romans 8 v29. John Pritchard did not encourage me despite his "humour" and "practical ideas" ( Justin Welby's review). There seemed to be an intrenched patronising pessimism towards church members which doesn't match what I encounter. He reminds me of a rather irritable schoolmaster, who, despite the jokes, doesn't think much of the children in his class. Now children, like the rest of us, are very far from perfect, but they need to be believed in if they are to reach their potential.
on 5 November 2013
This is a really good book - so useful for study groups, but equally inspiring for personal study.

It's divided into chapters - Facing God, facing myself, facing the world, facing others,facing the rest of the world; with sub sections, and guides you to consideration of major themes in our daily lives as Christians e,g. money, sex, the planet, being political, sharing faith. There are Bible passages to read, think and discuss, quotes and extracts by a surprising range of people, questions to ponder and prayers too.

It's written in a very accessible way, not at all pontificating, or admonishing nor directional

It makes you think!
on 6 December 2013
This book is clearly set-out and well written in an engaging style that aims to bring the life and teaching of Jesus Christ into the everyday situations of our lives. It offers insights into how we think and what we do, and it challenges us to live our lives differently and do things better.

Each chapter includes a humorous anecdote (which helps to keep the book light and interesting) as well as short, memorable quotes from celebrities such as: Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa, Carl Jung, HG Wells and even Woody Allen. I'm going to recommend this book for study in my church's home groups
on 7 May 2014
I have read this book through superficially once and intend to go back through it again, to look up and consider the Scriptures given and see how they apply to the areas in my life. I found it easy to read and thought provoking. It dealt with how I know God and how this should work out in areas of my life. The format makes it suitable for a group or to do individually. I would certainly recommend it to those who would value an MOT of their Christian life and attitudes.
on 21 October 2017
The book is being used by a Church Home study group. We are only part way through but am finding the book very 'down to earth' but at the same time challenging.
on 5 November 2015
Good chapter on facing death, useful for people who do not want to leave their heads buried in the sand. Can be challenging for people with limited academic exposure, but a dictionary helps.
on 6 October 2014
Well done once again Revd John Pritchard - Bishop of Oxford. A fantastic book, written in a gentle and easy langauge. Humour and challenges. May the Lord continue to bless JP wherever he sends him in his retirement. Oxford's loss - another's gain.
on 20 June 2016
An easy read yet very thought provoking. Great for house group work.