Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 18 April 2017
This was the Bee Gees departure from their previous disco themed albums. I must admit that when I first heard it back in 1981 on vinyl, I was
a little bit disappointed with the album, because I was expecting more of Barry's falsetto based songs. Its still a good album, and for me, its a bit
of a nostalgia trip, because I first heard it whilst on holiday in America, which was my first and only trip abroad. Two of my favourites on this album
are "Be who you are" and "Nothing could be good as loving you" Worth buying just for those two tracks.
on 28 September 2006
For some reason this amazing album was sinfully overlooked. Why that happened is a mystery because it is one of the BGs strongest albums. Very Beatles-ish, up there with Size Isnt Everything, This is Where I Came In, Still Waters, Mr Natural. Packed with killer songs and the stunning orchestral end-piece "Be Who You Are". Whatever you do, do not let this one get away from your thirsty ears. Totally majestic and addictive...Pure brilliance...
It is unclear whether the Bee Gees truly wanted to completely break away from their disco sound in this 1981 album or whether it was done to fulfill their last album contract with RSO records. Each Gibb stakes out a portion of the album with mediocre results. However, half the songs are good enough to warrant seeking this CD out. The first single, "Living Eyes", which barely charted is a wondrous ballad with nice guitar work. "He's A Liar", a song that raises more questions than it answers is a great, out of step, rock and roll melee. "Paradise" and "Don't Fall In Love With Me" are two more great harmonizing ballads that make the first side listenable. The upbeat "Cryin' Every day" also pushes the synthesizer/drum beat envelope. It's not "Spirits Having Flown", but maybe that was the whole point.
VINE VOICEon 9 February 2007
Some of the biggest flops in terms of albums turn out to be some of the best, and certainly no less in this instance. I think I'm correct in stating that this was the only album from The Bee Gees not to succeed in gathering enough sales in any one week for it to chart. I agree entirely with the last reviewer, who also wonders how this slipped by almost 'un-noticed' by the public. One reason might be that at the time, The Bee Gees had started concentrating more on writing songs for other major artistes such as Barbra Streisand and Dionne Warwick, thus taking attention away from their own performances. It is also worth noting that this was after the 'Saturday Night Fever' period, but long before their resurgence in 1987.

I remember hearing the single 'Living Eyes' for the first time on the radio - not a thing often experienced with singles that did not make the chart back in 1981, and I liked it immediately and went out and bought it. Consequently, it did not leave my turntable and was played over and over again for days! It had both the power of 'Tragedy' and the beauty of 'Spirits Having Flown' combined.

This CD has always been extremely hard to find, and for a long time was only ever available as an import - fetching up to £100 in some cases! Now, thanks to Amazon - even though it still costs a bit more than your average-priced CD we have an opportunity to own it for a limited period. Snap it up, as it will not be around forever! The vinyl is equally as scarce, as the many copies that are around, collectors are reluctant to part with them. There is a bonus with the LP; it includes possibly the most handsome photo of Maurice Gibb on the super inner gatefold - the most attractive of all The Bee Gees in my opinion.

All this aside, the songs are great, and the album is a true classic, and probably their best work ever!

Enjoy!

Trivia: Did you know that the same week this album came no-where in the album chart, ABBA were topping it with 'The Visitors', who, like The Bee Gees, had also placed a song called 'Soldiers' as their last track on side one! It was not the same song.
VINE VOICEon 5 March 2007
one of their best albums, criminally overlooked at the time. There is not a duff track and Paradise would get into my all time top 10 of their songs every time.
on 12 November 2007
this is my favorite album of all time,i`ve been listening to it since i was 15 years old(im 35 now)Every song is so powerful and with so high quality.. i have already decided that `be who you are`are going to be played at my own funeral
on 6 October 2008
Living Eyes is without doubt one of the very best of the Bee Gees albums. It marks a period of transition after the disco years and highlights the very real beauty of the Gibb Brothers at their sparkling best. It's just so good and if you haven't got this on CD you must get it now. It's timeless.
on 27 June 2013
This is one of my favourite albums. Brilliant if your into the Bee Gees that is, which I am. Highly recommended
on 12 May 2013
Have discovered the beegees again and am amazed at how much I love their later work. This album is my favorite. Robin's voice is so clear and I love Maurice's wildflower. Very special
on 3 May 2008
So you think you know Bee Gees and than you are coming across this album suddenly amazed you didn't know it before. Well, I was lucky, cause it was the first one I ever heard (my mom was a proud owner;) ) And after so many years I believe it to be the greatest one. Just very emotional, wonderful piece of music. You don't have to love it but if you like any Bee Gees song I'm sure you will enjoy this one very much.