on 9 April 2013
During the past years I started to have mixed feelings about the exposure of female bodies. I wanted to see if my uneasiness was shared by other people and to my relief I found that the return of sexism is being noticed and is currently under study. Since there is plenty of literature on the subject, it was not easy to choose a book, but if you like me did not follow the developments of the feminist movement, I guess this one is a good start.

The book is divided in two parts, the first exploring the new sexism and focussing of some of the new female "figures" who should promote sexual freedom, but turn out to be little more that objects of exploitation (babes, pole-dancers, prostitutes, etc..)
The second part is about the new determinism and explores genetical and social stereotypes and changes in culture. This second part is slightly weaker than the first, which is more journalistic in approach.

However, it is interesting and instructive reading and I would definitely recommend
2 people found this helpful
on 11 June 2014
First off, this book is a really enjoyable read, which makes a change from some feminist literature which can be a little too dry and academic in tone.
However, the first part of the book is really pretty basic - a common sense approach which wouldn't be new to anyone who has read around the subject before. It does pick up towards the end though and introduces some more radical ideas.
I'd recommend it to people who are getting into feminism and feel it would be a particularly worthwhile read for teenagers and young women (and men).
4 people found this helpful
on 17 October 2017
What can I say about Living Dolls, well first it isn't fiction. With the growth of the Me Too campaign it is an excellent read. There are critical reviews about this book, it is an emotive subject and they make interesting reading in themselves.
on 13 August 2013
This book was a real eye-opener into the situation of our world in regard to the gender divide. Obviously it shouldn't be taken as pure fact without extra research, but the insight into statistics and the media was astounding. I feel a lot more knowledgeable about the issues covered in the book, and will no longer sit quietly when people say the world is equal for men and women or talk about the sexual imagery we are exposed to as normal. As a teenage girl I often feel excluded by my peers when they discuss many topics covered within this book, but reading Living Dolls has supported my own beliefs and reinforced that I shouldn't be afraid just because I don't fit into their female ideal of normal. Fantastic book.
4 people found this helpful
on 15 January 2016
This is an awesome book that anyone should read. The part about how what women think as "choice" can easily be an opinion imposed upon them by male-dominant culture was eye opening. Really good.
3 people found this helpful
on 5 January 2014
This is a book that you should read.. if you are a woman..like women.. have daughters... or just want a cleverly written piece of social commentary. This very much reminded me of Anne Oakley's work and I couldn't put it down once I picked it up. A well thought about piece of work on women in the modern world and in particular the overt sexualisation of children and young girls. It was refreshing to read something that echoed my own thoughts.. I'm so grateful that I was born in the seventies. This should be handed out to teenage girls at the school gate!
on 6 October 2017
feminist reading- all good
on 21 October 2013
I never write reviews usually but this book has compelled me to talk about it to anyone who'll listen.
Just as prolific and important as 'The Beauty Myth', Natasha examines the resurgence of socially acceptable sexism and where contemporary feminist thinking fits in with today's culture. Well written and interesting, credible evidence based views and theories, passionate and engaging.
I have persuaded my husband to read it before we have our first child- I want our child to know they are capable of pretty much anything, regardless of their gender.
3 people found this helpful
on 4 April 2014
Everyone - women and man should read it. I think it could be even a mandatory reading for teenagers and their parents alike. Walter writes in a clear and succint style and goes through difficult topics smoothly and elegantly. I'd call this the real voice of third wave feminism.
on 18 February 2015
Excellent. Good easy reading style rather than academic. Uses lots of identifiable anecdotal evidence so everyone can relate to the situations. The 'modern' woman debunked at last as a fabrication. I have bought this for several friends who enjoyed it too.
2 people found this helpful