on 7 October 2004
What a fantastic book!
Mesmerising, captivating and hysterically funny in places. The reader never feels bored, even in the part where he describes the 9-5 office job he had for some time.
Fiennes' command of the English (and French) language is as exceptional as the rest of this mans life. It has probably been said before, but I can't help feeling that if anyone at all should and could write an autobiography, it is this man and this book.
on 14 October 2003
This book defines what the human body is capable of if the mind is strong, Fiennes encapsulates everything good about mankind, and how his own journey of self-discovery changed him.
Starting with his boyhood in South Africa, the author takes you on a collosal journey with him through his lifes ups and downs, his close human relationships and his self beleif, a remarkable acheivement, if there is one book you must read in your life, it is this one.
on 27 December 2006
I was given this book some time ago, it has been published twice, the most recent publication has a further antarctic expedition with Mike Stroud included. The book is well written and contains some fantastic stories and anecdotes about a true adventurous soul. The book takes you along with him as he travels the world, seeing the hardships and the laughs as though you were there. Fantastic read, buy it.
on 11 January 2008
I've just finished Ranulph's book and it was a fantastic read. I've been a disabled soldier since 18, now 49. In the last 5 years my health has deteriorated considerably, i've nearly died twice after opeations and i'm left with a legacy of agonizing daily pain for which their is no cure, albeit some small relief by medication. Reading this book has proved invaluable in helping me cope with the darkest moments of pain in my life and has given me the inspiration to battle on, as when you read about the hardships Ranulph suffered in his quest to reach his goal you realize maybe you're not so bad off as you thought. You have to look at your pain as a Polar plod, some days you'll gain some not. Thanks.
on 4 January 2001
I read these books the wrong way round Beyond the Limits then Living Dangerously. its well written, with perfectly timed examples of his life. its well worth the doe.
on 9 August 2006
I just think it should be cheaper or longer. I'm reading Living Dangerously right now (picked up signed copy in a charity shop)and am very much enjoying it. Someone I know said I should get this CD, so I did. He does speak very well in it and is rather funny at times. Kind of stand up comedy in many ways and informative at same time. It says running time approx 2 hours. Now I haven't checked this out properly but it didn't last 3 journey's to and from work on my car CD player so I find it hard to imagine it being more than an hour and a half of talking. It does flow very well though, and maybe it's because of this that I just felt hard done by when it finished so soon. It was the first and probably last audio book I will buy. Buy this for someone who hasn't got time to read or who is blind. I would probably of been happy to have received this as a present but feel my money would of been far better spent on getting another book and listening to the radio in the car. I just hope that any profits go towards some worthy cause...
on 12 February 2010
This is the first time I have used Amazon.
Very happy with the price, service and quality of the book. I will certainly be using Amazon again.
Happy reading
on 8 March 2010
I know this book, so no surprises. It was a gift for someone else. Condition, delevery date were all most satisfactory, thank you
on 22 November 2016
Yes this is an excellent book - informative and the pictures are just what I require for my research
on 31 July 2014
This book is very interesting, but the photo quality in the book was very poor.