Live Linux: Building and Customizing Bootables (Negus Live Linux) Paperback – 14 Nov 2006
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
"Most of all, I recommend this book to any Linux user who enjoys tinkering with the operating system and wants to build something truly their own. I know one guru who created a special distribution for his forum members. The possibilities are endless. Let Live Linux CDs be your guide to a new enjoyment of your Linux system."–Jack Carlson, Reviewer, Lockergnome.com
From the Back Cover
Dream the perfect computer system, then build it to run on a Linux live CD!
A Linux live CD is more than just a Linux system you carry around. Start with a live CD that has all your favorite applications. Include and play photo slideshows, presentations, Web content, and music collections. Incorporate your own designs, colors, and images to appear everywhere from the boot prompt to the desktop.
When you are done, you have a perfectly customized CD or DVD that can run on almost any PC that you can reboot. In Live Linux® CDs, bestselling Linux author Christopher Negus guides you through the free software tools and toys you need to try out and create specialized Linux live CDs for security, presentations, gaming, multimedia, firewalls, and clustering. It is the first start-to-finish guide to using, creating, building, and remastering your own live Linux distributions.
Working from live CD technology on the accompanying DVD, you can
- Boot and run live Linux versions of KNOPPIX, SLAX, Gentoo, Damn Small Linux, and other live CDs
- Burn and boot Linux live CD ISO images of Ubuntu, KNOPPIX, SLAX, MoviX, BackTrack, and more
- Build your own live CDs from instructions based on KNOPPIX (Debian), Fedora, Gentoo, Damn Small Linux, and SLAX
- Create multimedia players that are customized to include your own video or music
- Customize live CD rescue toolkits to analyze and repair data on compromised networks, Windows PCs, and Linux systems
- Configure personal firewalls to protect from Internet intruders
- Control the processing power of a group of computers, using live CD clusters
Whether you want to customize the perfect live Linux for your own use or distribute it to the world, Live Linux® CDs gives you all the knowledge, tools, and software you need.
See all Product description
Top customer reviews
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
What a great book. Yes, it is compiled from many of the very same web articles I found. The difference is that Christopher Negus is very much a Linux pro and a good writer as well. So he has vastly clarified the language of the original "how to" articles, added a comparatively vast amount of information on how Linux and specifically Linux Live CDs work and put it between covers. The customization of several Linux distributions is covered. For good measure - and as an instructive exercise - Negus also examines several existing Live CDs. The examples are very informative.
Thanks to Negus and his clear, crisp writing style, the book is an easy read. By skipping the chapters on distros that I don't plan on using, I was through the book in a few hours. The best part is that I am looking forward to building my own Live CD. After reading Negus, I have no fear of the process because he has explained it so thoroughly. That is cool.
It's a great resource for anyone looking for information on making their own bootable linux distribution.
is thoroughly knowledgeable about his
subject. He explains the theory and
shows you everything you actually
have to do.
I was never aware that there were
so many different uses for a live CD.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Lifestyle > Online Shopping > Amazon
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Music
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Functional Programming
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Architecture
- Books > Computing & Internet > UNIX & Linux > Linux Distributions