on 21 July 2013
As a childminder, I purchased this item as sand-play is arguably one of the top 5 'musts' for fun, learning and development in early years. Initially I thought 'oh no, more plastic!' but after borrowing a friend's Little Tikes bouncy castle recently, I knew their products are tough and well made/designed. I have not been disappointed with this one. The pit holds plenty of sand, and this week legs have been buried, giving the authentic beach experience. There was enough comfortable space for a 5 and a 3 year old, and when the 1 yr old toddler joined there was a still a cosy - not cramped - feel about the play going on. Seats on the edge are a good idea, and serve the intended purpose. Yes, lid is a touch light and design could go a bit further to include clips of some description, but windy weather simply means that something will be put on top in the general tidying up process. HOWEVER, the best feature for me is that this sandpit allows water can practically be added into the mix! Sand and water go together like bread and butter - they are meant for each other. On our patio, water has been added to make rivers, moats, tides going in and tides going out, rock pools, mud pies and body covering. In no way could I imagine this going on with other sandpits on the Amazon list that only have an internal groundsheet or wood that needs to be treated annually (sorry, don't have time for that!). OK, water has to be drained away manually with cups and small containers, but hey - even I got carried away watching the sand and water making rivers and mini-lakes as I worked out how to fill each container-full with water... Very relaxing! Damp sand can then be dried off by leaving the lid off during the day (not the night due to cats etc). I have recommended this sandpit to parents I work with, and I recommend it to Amazon purchasers. Great value for money.
11 comment| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2013
Having spent far to much time looking at sandpits and considering prices and reviews I decided to buy the Little Tikes Turtle Sandpit for a child's 1st birthday. I decided against cheaper wooden sandpits having read various reviews about them rotting after just a few years. (Note: Prices seem to vary - I paid £34 when product was on offer)

The sandpit is large enough to fit in 2-3 babies/toddlers and older children could use the seats on the edge. It's a friendly looking character and the plastic it's made from is fairly robust whist still being light enough to easily move without a man to hand! The lid is a thinner plastic and I would recommend storing it flat when not on the turtle so as not to distort the shape. The lid on ours fit fine - not a snug fit but it has had to cope with some significant rain and it has not leaked. We've not had a problem with wind yet but a light weight on top would be useful to hold it in place.

Excellent as a ballpit or paddling pool for small child. We've decided to put a groundsheet type liner in the bottom for when we put sand in so that the sand can be lifted out in the sheet without having to lift the turtle full of sand which I imagine would cause it to crack. It'd be fine if you didn't need to move it with sand in but practically this is better for us.

Would recommend
on 13 May 2013
Good old Little Tikes. Strong, durable and fun this pit arrived well packaged and in quick time, just one suggestion, can there be a manufacturing adjustment to keep the lid on safe when not in use, the wind can catch it and blow it away, we use a rock!
on 9 April 2016
My aunt bought this off our wish list for our sons birthday. It arrived on time which I was happy with, but what I wasn't really happy with is it was meant to be a surprise for his actually birthday which was a few days away and when it was delivered it had a massive picture on the box of what it was so my son had seen it as it was brought through the front door and the surprise was ruined (never mind). Overall the sand box is lovely my son likes the little flat seats for when he doesn't want to get too sandy. The main turtle bit is very well built and a strong plastic. The only down point for me is the lid it is very thin and flimsy and keeps flying off with the slightest bit of wind and the sand is ruined. It fits very loosely so doesn't really do its job it should have clips on it or be a bit heavier. Other than that it's a really fun colourful thing for the garden and my son loves it!.
review image
on 14 June 2016
It's a sandbox with a lid of decent size for a couple of kids. Not big enough to design a train and road layout but ok for building bucket castles. Lid fits well and so far toys have been protected from the weather and the sand stayed clean.
on 25 May 2015
Exactly right for the purpose. Toddler twins love it. 4 bags of playsand from Argos is just right, but I bought 5 so I have a top-up when required. Really good purchase for Granny's house.
on 8 July 2016
I bought this sandpit for my 11 month old granddaughter who simply loves it. the only criticism is the lid does not clip on and I had read it can come off when windy so we are using a green bungee cord to clip over the top
on 11 May 2013
Bought for 2 and 1/2 yr old. Good size, reasonably robust. Bought sand from Argos. Looked at lots different types but went off the idea of wooden ones as just end up rotting, cost more and need maintaining. Only thing not 100% happy with is lid just sits on and dont think itd take much wind to lift it up and let cats in or get rain in. Could do with some kind of clips/ latch. Other than that, its great.
on 13 June 2014
Good product although lid rather thin and can blow off if not weighted down. Good little seats at edge and fun to play in. Delivered promptly.
on 15 July 2016
Bought for my labrador to cool down in the hot weather. She rips all the cheap plastic paddling pools when she 'digs' and splashes around. This was exactly what I needed. Big enough for her to move around in, splash and play. I even added some balls that you would usually add to a ball pit. She adores it! Very sturdy, will last for a long time. Happy owner and a happly dog!
review image