Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now Learn More Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 5 April 2012
It's nice to have a small hardback version of these lovely books available again, but the text is being touted as 'unabridged'. I'm sorry, but I have some copies of the original books from the 1930s and yet, again, the original words of Alison Uttley have been 'tidied'.

Not on a grand scale, and not as drastically as some of the shocking copies which appeared in the 1990s. Just the odd sentence or word here and there have been stripped out. WHY? To save space?
on 28 May 2009
After reading this book by Alison Uttley I can honestly say that Uttley belongs in the same hall of fame as Beatrix Potter and the likes. This book and other stories in the Little Grey Rabbit collection are wonderful for gifts and 'first reading books' at bedtime or for school and are definately a collectors item. Uttleys imagination combined with the creative illustrations throughout makes the Squirrel, the Hare and the Little Grey Rabbit an enjoyable read for children of all ages.
on 26 August 2007
I love love LOVED this book when I was a child. The weasel terrified me!!! I was only about 4 as the previous reviewer was and the downtrodden little grey rabbit's bravery stood out. I never really understood why she did what she did when they treated her so badly.... Anyway, this is a brilliant book and I hope it hasn't been altered at all since my childhood because I loved the "peril" element of the story and everything else about it. Highly recommended for kids (and kids at heart) but probably the younger ones.
on 20 December 2005
I was first introduced to Little Grey Rabbit (and all her friends) by my Dad, when I was about three or four myself. For years, my bedtime story consisted of Dad reading one of these stories, with different voices for each character and if I was really good, I got to act out parts of the story. This is over 30 years ago and last time I visited my folks, I pulled out the old books and they were as fresh, comforting, fun, funny and enveloping as I remembered. The characters are great (Hare is my favourite. He thinks he's so brave, but he's such a coward) and the stories are a nice throw-back to a slower pace of life (I tried to make acorn tea myself once...). Now I have a toddler, I can't wait for her to be old enough to be introduced to the magic herself...
on 6 June 2012
Had this book when I was a child as did my father when he was so got it for my two little ones who love it! Great bed time story.
on 14 January 2014
Gave it to my granchildren but later when reading realised that some of the text had been taken out. Shame
on 11 October 2015