on 23 May 2017
Really enjoyed this detective who done it tale set in Northern Ireland. The detective in question is Lucy Black who goes back to Ireland to care for her ex cop Dad who is suffering from Dementia.

Whilst trying to solve a local kidnapping case she stumbles on an historical bombing case that reveals some unsavoury facts about her father. To further muddy the plot her mother is in charge of the police service in which she serves.

Also some interesting sub plots that keep you turning the pages.

Recommended
on 16 July 2017
Lucy Black is a great viewpoint character from Brian McGilloway- well written, strong but flawed, with enough hints at personal drama to keep going across books. The painting of Derry & he area is true to life & respectful, but no local knowledge is needed to enjoy a quick paced whodunnit with enough tension & suspense to keep it going. Can't wait to read more.
on 23 April 2017
Loved it from start to finish, found the storyline believable and couldn't stop reading I just had to know what was going to happen next !
on 11 October 2012
I had never heard of this author before, but I decided to get this book as it was on special offer. I can't say I'm a huge crime who did it reader.

The book is a bit of a slow burner. I found the first 30% of the book to be quite slow, though that is not to say that it was boring, it definitely keeps you turning the pages. The last third of the book is definitely the best part.

Overall it is a good book and it is something you can read quickly, a good holiday read. However I wouldn't buy another book by this author,I prefer the style of the crime author CJ Box.
on 14 September 2017
Brilliant read, will definitely read his other Lucy Black books. A gripping story, a book I just had to finish.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 17 May 2013
I normally read the Lee Child Jack Reacher books and wouldn't normally bother with a book of this type, I was looking for a few books to download on my wifes Kindle for our holiday and thought this looked good.

She finished it quicker than I have ever seen her read and book and told me to read it, which I did and what a good book, I couldn't put it down, brilliant writing, brilliant story.
on 13 June 2017
I have now read all of Brian McGilliway books and really enjoyed them this was the Lucy Black series and was very good x
on 11 May 2017
Easy to read and couldn't put this book down. Well constructed story. - chilling but not overly so. If you enjoy detective stories, read this.
on 13 October 2017
Oh I just love Brian McGilloway's books. He keeps you on the edge of your seat
on 19 October 2017
It was ok but didn't leave me wanting more.