Customer reviews

on 5 March 2001
This is an unusual book that covers a very wide range of approaches to personal transformation and spiritual knowledge. In some ways this attempt to integrate so much knowledge works well, but as my own interest is primarily astrology, I found some of the other content a distraction from her often original and insightful treatment of the major cycles of Saturn, Uranus and Chiron.
For example, although I have practised various forms of meditation and am familiar with the chakras and kundalini, I don't know if the correspondences to the more extreme physical, psychological and spiritual crises described at the Uranus opposition "mid-life crisis" are as Clow suggests. Yes there are unexpected shocks, energy shifts, and major changes of life direction at around age 40 when the transit kicks in, but whether this relates to the unblocking of chakras and the rising of kundalini is another matter, for me at least. Perhaps she is ahead of me here.
However, this book is packed with so many different perspectives, I would be surprised if many people could wholeheartedly embrace all of them! Shamanism, the end of the Mayan Great Calendar, scientific insights on energy fields, mythology, all feature. It is powerful stuff. There is some quality astrology and at times an unusual blend of "far out" cosmic ideas with a very firm grip on reality in the Western world. There are some interesting sociological observations on the pros and cons of different types of spirituality and a large number of case histories to demonstrate the key life stages described. I keep coming back to sections of the book that I personally find useful, and suspect that many others would do the same.