on 11 July 2017
Great to read a book based on the older woman being smarter.
Old is 40s good to read if you have worked hard for a few decades
on 3 October 2007
Do not waste your time or money. This book is badly written, the characters are contrived and unbelievable. The plot is abysmal. Bushnell actually does not know how to write very well so misses out a significant portion of the plot so one minute the characters are in trouble, then on the next page it is a few months later and they have sucessfully sorted out all their problems.

SATC TV series - the episodes were not written by her. The idea and characters were taken from her book but the vast majority of seasons 1 through 6 have NOTHING to do with her, other than the original idea, the pilot and the first few episodes. This is not the sharp-witted TV series, it's unintelligent, unimaginative and dull. I give it one star because I have to but it is not even worth that.
on 16 June 2013
If you like reading about fashion, friends, sex and New York then this book is for you. I have read it a few times now as I really love all the different characters and their jobs and how it affects their friendships and marriages- or lack of. I would say this book is better than sex in the city- have b=no idea why the series wasn't as bi as the characters are better constructed and more real.

If you like reading this genre the I would also suggest reading A Farce On Fifth Avenue equally as entertaining and set in the bitchy world of luxury fashion on Fifth Avenue- very witty.
on 22 March 2006
I actually loved this book. I hadn't read any Candace Bushnell books before, but loved SATC, so I was optimistic about the book. I was not disappointed. The characters were all different but all likeable in their own way, and the book kept me turning the pages all the way through to find out what would happen in the end. I could relate to a lot of what was going on and disagree that the characters behaved in a way that you couldn't understand.
If you're after an intellectually challenging read then this isn't the book for you but if you're after a bit of fun to escape to for a few days, then I would definitely recommend this!
on 7 October 2009
This is the third book,I read, by Candace Bushnell, I came to her books by chance, and decided to try it. She is so brillant at her descriptions of the new American society life, brillant at describing the characters of each of her individuals, very funny, but above all, very subtil. It was a total surprise, I never imagined I would enjoy so much her writing. And also, the plot and the way the story is constructed is very good. I was fascinated to have such an intelligent glimpse at this vision of America, maybe not a very good account of their value, but I find it so interesting, that C Bushnell with a great sens of humour gives us such a taste of what America is, today.
on 21 April 2011
Unlike many Bushnell fans, I could not get in to SATC, no matter how much I'm devoted to the series, but LJ was so easy-going and interesting that I was won over.

The characters are absolutely relatable, and even though the plotline and lives of these characters may not be largely realistic at times, they are still somehow empowering to female readers, to see life from the perspective of powerful, successful New York women.

I got through chapters and chapters without realising, when usually I'm waiting for a set certain page to finish on.

Buy it. Read it. Love it. It's fabulous.
on 24 January 2007
More Jackie Collins that SATC, this book transports you to a world of power, sex, designer clothes and hot hot men, with the three ladies concerned (Wendy, Nico and Victory) living top notch lives in NY. Im not ashamed to say, I really enjoyed this. Its pacy, sexy and racy, everything you would expect from the co-writer of the award winning SATC. But dont expect to see any Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte or Miranda characters. These ladies are feistier, louder, and power hungry and whilst I didnt sympathise or connect with any of them, I could help but admire them. Sip a Cosmo, slip of your Blahnik rip offs from Primark, and fantasise that you too could be a hot fashion designer, president of a movie house or editor of a monthly glossy mag... I did!
on 30 July 2014
I found this book ok nothing really wrong with it but no twists or turns that get you hooked.
I engaged with all three of the characters but found the ending very rushed I had to go back to check I hadn't missed anything as it seemed to hop from one time period to six months later without any reason as from what I was reading nothing really significant happened to warrant a big jump in time.
I wouldn't personally recommend it was just a bit of a dull read which never really went anywhere
on 10 May 2010
Im a fan of Candace Bushnell and i have read her other books. I love her take on New York. Its not your typical girls in the city book. Its about power and ambition. This is great to read from a womens perspective. Ending was a little bit fairytail like but on the whole it was a great read. I had watched several episodes of the show but the book really gets you involved and understanding the characters. It also made references to the book Trading Up which was great to read.
on 19 August 2009
Surprised at the negative reviews, I thought this was a highly enjoyable book and my own complaint was there was no big ending or suprise, it just kind of petered out in the end. First Bushnell book I have read, although I love SATC but will definitely read more.