Customer reviews

on 5 December 2001
I'd say this book is near on perfect for migration to Linux for an experienced Windows user. There is plenty of information for newbies and later the book gets quite a lot more indepth, a little intimidating at a glance at the contents pages I admit but you find your learning curve, although steep, will allow you to understand better as you read on. The book is all round intermediate level. Coupling this book with usenet and a few lesser substancial books gets you well on your way.
One thing I shall say though is it is becoming dated now. RedHat, (5 i believe, which it is based around) has changed quite a lot since the release and 7.2 which we are at as I write this, proved fairly confusing at first to translate but that (except perhaps the price) would be my only quarms.
VINE VOICEon 2 December 2012
.. and not without some justification, I might add. I would say that if it is for beginners then those persons would need to be very dedicated because there is frequent use of unexplained terms and to my mind the index is one of the worst, if not the worst, that I have ever encountered. One reviewer suggests that the book was showing its age - and my review is several years later than the review in question; however, having said that, I checked the latest kernel release and it was not that much advanced in 'odd' number revision to the kernel mentioned in the book. It certainly deserves 4 stars.
on 22 January 2001
This is an excellent if misnamed book. It isn't really for beginners but aimed really at IT professionals who need to administer Linux systems. It covers all the key things that a person would need to know in a clear well written format that makes it easy to use as both a reference or a study guide. Much of the subject matter is fully relevant to other Unix variants. Several of the chapters such as those covering DNS or FTP are just as relevant to the Dynix and Solaris systems that I look after
on 8 August 2000
I bought this book because i've never really got to know the nuts and bolts that hold Linux together. A project at work meant I had to get up to speed very quickly and this book certainly helped me do that. It's very easy to read, covers all of the relevant topic areas and even though it is called a beginners guide - it doesn't treat you like one. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about Linux administration. I'm a Software Engineer so needed specific information about Linux so that I could write server software for it. This book should be on everyone's bookshelf.
on 26 April 2002
This book is not just for beginners as the title suggests. It's a good balance of general topics in Linux admin and discusses some topics like NIS and DNS better than some advanced level books. It's full of examples; You can use some of the examples right out the book to implement server configs and if you need more there's a good discussion of advanced networking at the end.
Well done Steve :-)
on 4 March 2001
This is a very good place for a new administrator to start. It covers a lot of different topics and gives you the basics. You can then decide where you need more knowledge, and buy the appropriate book to cover that subject in more detail.
on 12 October 2014
great book and good seller